1

I literally have no idea how British people speak so I am so sorry in advance. If you see something that's no accurate please let me know so that I can fix it. 

"Merlin wake up." A voice, calling him from the deep dark abyss of sleep. He rolled away from whoever it was. "This is just ridiculous. Get up!"

"Five more minutes Gaius," Merlin mumbled.

"Who the hell is Gaius? Merlin, we have a case and if you don't get your arse out of bed, I will leave without you." That brought him to his senses, but even so he let his eyes remain closed for just a few more moments. He had been dreaming, and for once it hadn't been a nightmare. He and Arthur had been riding through the woods, just the two of them. It wasn't a particularly complex dream, but Merlin missed it all the same. His partner, Iris, shook his shoulder and he finally sighed.

"Alright alright. I'm up. God." He sat up, eyes open to greet the...nighttime. "Seriously?" he groaned. "Can't people wait until the morning to discover dead bodies?" Iris laughed.

"How do you know it's a dead body? It could easily be a kidnapping," she stated. Sometimes Merlin was sure she lived purely to argue with him. She reminded him of a female version of Arthur, although she was considerably less arrogant.

"Is it a dead body?" Merlin retorted.

"Yes."

"Then I was right." Iris scoffed.

"Just get ready." There wasn't much that he actually needed to do to get ready. He had fallen asleep on Iris' couch a few hours ago. They had just made a huge arrest and Iris had insisted that they celebrate back at her flat. Merlin had lived for over a thousand years, and yet Iris could still drink him under the table with little trouble. Sometimes he wondered if she was even human. 

Merlin went into the bathroom and brushed his teeth. He concentrated briefly, muttered a few words under his breath, and watched his eyes glow momentarily gold in the bathroom mirror. The headache that had been splitting his skull in half vanished. He sighed in relief. Iris may have the highest tolerance Merlin had ever seen, but she still got hungover, unlike Merlin. Iris often complained about how it wasn't possible that Merlin didn't get hangovers, or even small headaches or colds. He just laughed at her and said he had a good immune system, which didn't explain the lack of hangovers, but had at least gotten her to stop asking questions; for now.

Merlin tried to tame his hair, but it was a losing battle, and he had places to be. He exited the bathroom, promising himself that he would take a shower the second he got a chance. Iris was waiting by the door, badge already clipped to her beltloop, gun holstered at her hip, leather jacket on, and with her foot tapping impatiently.

"Finally," she said, exasperated. Merlin didn't deign to reply. It was much to early, and she had no right to be this energetic. He grabbed his own badge and gun and they headed out to her car. Merlin noticed her wince as her car door shut behind her and he took an embarrassing amount of pleasure from it.

"How are you feeling?" he asked innocently. She just growled at him and started the car. Once the car got moving however, the joking was put to the side. "So what do we have?"

"White female, early twenties, found on a beach near Cornwall."

"Anything else?" Merlin pressed. There was usually more than that.

"That's it. Apparently it's a weird one though." There was a little bit of excitement in her voice. She always got like this before they started a new case, especially the weird ones. When that man had been found hanging from a cross in that church with 'praise the lord' carved into his abdomen, she had practically squealed. Merlin had to remind her that a man was dead and to show her excitement a little bit less. If she hadn't become a detective, she definitely would have become a serial killer.