"I handed over the title when you turned six, when your father started training you. I would always beg your father to let me train you, to let you come and stay with me. He did for a time, but then he thought I was making you too weak, giving you ideals that would cause the empire to fall in your hands. After a few months he forbid me from ever seeing you again. I tried to talk to him and I always had my spies looking out for you, but there was only so much I could do."

I didn't know what to say. On the one hand, I wanted to blame him for everything. He could've gotten me out of this life, he could've helped me. However, it also makes me wonder what would've happened if he tried. Things could've been worse, more violent. At the end of the day, I've grown up, my father is dead, and there's no reason for me to be angry with him. I just have to let it go.

"Tell me Ace, now that your Don, what do you plan to do?"

"I want to end this war with the American heir, Jack. Other than that, I have no clue."

"Ah." He smiles. "Tell me, will I be able to expect any great-grandkids?"

"I doubt it." I sigh, swirling the liquor in my glass.

"Can I ask why?"

"I'm not sure I want kids, I don't ever want to be like my father. Plus, I have no Donna."

"Really? What happened to the soldier you were with?" Shit, even the council knew about Hannah and I.

"I made her leave, I didn't want her getting hurt or being apart of this life."

"What makes you think she would've?"

"We're one of the top four mafias, she would always have a target on her back."

"That's true." He sighed. "But do you know why we're one of the top four? Have you ever thought about the fact that we always have a target on our back, yet no Don or Donna has ever been killed by another mafia?"

"Because we train a lot, because we're powerful." I answered.

"Because we're feared." He corrected. "Carina wasn't raised in this life, much like your soldier. She never wanted it, but she still ran this mafia with a strength as fierce as any other Donna. She was also wise and well respected in this world. People knew she had the capability to skin someone alive, but to also forgive. Your mother was not only feared, but married to an abusive husband. An abusive husband, who would never admit it, but he feared her as well. She wasn't killed by your father, or by anything crime related. She died from child birth, a natural phenomenon that happens everyday.

"We'll all die at some point, Ace. From what I heard, your soldier was feared too. We've talked with the Russian heiress recently, and she highlighted the respect and admiration she had for the girl as well. Unlike your mother, though, she wanted to be here. She may not have been born into this life, but it sounds like she belongs in this life.

"I've also heard that she loved you. Few people in mafias get that luxury, I was fortunate enough to have that with your Nona before she passed. We are feared by many in this world. Are we admired? Sure. But loved? Rarely. Take it from me, Ace. Your mother wanted you to have a normal life. The more I've thought about it over the years, the more I've realized what she meant.

"Carina knew I could never take you out of the crime world, she knew you were always destined to become a Don. When she asked me to give you a normal life, she was referring to love. Love is normal, love makes you human. Everyone knew love wasn't something you would receive from your father. She was asking me to love you. I did love you, and I still do. Sadly, I wasn't able to be there to show that love for you. This girl did though. She granted your mother's wish by walking in at the right time and showing you love, as well as  emotions and kindness. 

"When I first heard that you had found someone, I was overjoyed. I knew your mother must have done something to bring this girl into your life. After all, that's all she ever wanted for you. Go get your girl back. Hold onto her and don't let her go."

"I know that now that I've lost her. She was the best thing I've ever had. How do I get her back though? Not only is she infuriated that I made her leave and was an ass to all of her friends, but she's moved on."

"You know, when I heard about this girl, I thought she was like your mother. With this though, she almost sounds like your Nona." He laughs. "I loved your Nona more than anything in this world, including the mafia, but that she was more than a pain in my ass. She was a strong minded woman and, before we were married, she made sure to remind me that she didn't need me, I needed her. Maria had a list of her ex-lovers and, every time I pissed her off, she would start listing them. She would always tell me 'They all loved me and they still do. The lost me because they couldn't love me right. Don't make me add your name to my list!'." We both laughed at his impersonation of my grandmother. "Your Nona and I were in love, but that doesn't mean we never argued. An angry woman is never something you want to deal with, but you do it anyways. You do it because you love her. There were many times she was angry with me, many times she left. I would always sit on my high horse for a few days, but then I'd realize how miserable I was without her."

"How did you get her back."

"I went after her. I told her I loved her and showed her how much I cared."

"That's it? She always just got back with you?"

"Surprisingly, yes." He laughed. "If theres one thing I ever learned from her, it's that women don't need bribes to stay with you. Sure, flowers are nice, but they don't last forever. Your Nona didn't want me to show her my love with flowers or chocolates, she wanted me show her I cared. She wanted me to show her effort, that I wanted to be with her. No matter how many fights we had, or how many times she left, what mattered was that I always came back for her."

"It's really that easy?"

"I promise you, it is nowhere near as easy as it sounds. It is definitely worth it though."

----------------------

Hehehehe I hope you guys liked this chap. I really want to post the next one tonight, but if I do then we only have two more chaps, plus the epilogue. Thoughts? lol. I LOVE YOU BESTIES!!! Comment and Vote!