Chapter thirty one

Start from the beginning

He twisted his lips to the side , eyes flickering back and forth between June and the road quickly .

"Well it doesn't matter ." He finally settled on saying.

"I like you . I think you're the greatest thing since eggs. The rest of them are all mindless idiots who wouldn't even know a good tasty egg if they looked at one ." He rambled on .

Growing tense as he slowly pulled into a single road that led down to the familiar lake house he had grown up in .

June smiled at him , amused.

"Isn't the saying 'greatest things since sliced bread ?'" She said . Looking over at the tall old style house that sat in front of them overlooking the lake .

A long wooden deck led up to the front door that was a faded green that looked in need of some TLC.

The roof seemed to have seen better days , and the bricks were a awful cream colour that had her cringing .

It was most probably cute when they first bought it but the years had really worn the house down . They didn't seem to have kept up with the up-keeping either , it was a shame .

She was sure that it could be something great if someone had only looked after it better .

Jett eyed the dead flowed that scattered the porch and the overgrown grass with a shake of his head , his father had always been a lazy asshole and so was the home-wrecker too.

A scowl was already digging into his brows , his fists tightening around the steering wheel until his knuckles went white .

"The bastard couldn't even water the flowers ." He muttered blankly , leaning back into his seat with a loud exhale .

June chewed on her cheek , side eying him warily.

"You need to push it all down jett . At least until tonight . You can't lash out at them ." She told him gently but firmly .

It had to be perfect otherwise it wouldn't work at all .

He scoffed bitterly , narrowing his eyes back at her in dismay.

"I don't know if I can act all pally with him June . I want to wring his neck . My poor fucking mother ..." he trailed off shakily , tongue in cheek as he struggled to wrestle the building anger inside of him .

Feeling the familiar dark cloud surround them she sighed , leaning over to gently run her knuckles over his cheek in a soothing motion hoping to calm him down .

He was much too brash . One wrong move could  ruin it all.

It had to be perfect . It was his birthday after all.

" I know . I know ." She crooned lips while skimming over his lips like a ghost.

"But storming in there and screaming at him won't solve anything will it?" She reminded him .

He nudged his broad nose against hers in return .

"It'll make me feel really good though ." He breathed out . Cracking a smile at her immediate glare .

Chuckling , he kissed her gently , barely , before pulling away with a wistful sigh.

"Fine." He mumbled sniffling .

"I'll be on my best behaviour baby . Swear on the eggs." He said.

She snickered at his pouting , pushing open her door and jumping down out of the truck .

"Don't ruin my eggs." She warned him teasingly as he came around her side , grabbing her hand tightly in his own .

Squeezing her palm three times , he smirked down at her cheekily.