16 | "What The Actual Fuck"

Começar do início

   She ignored my wiggling eyebrows, examining me with heartache. "Lee," she began, struggling to find her voice. "One day, they'll give up. They have to. And then you can—"

   "I'm leaving."

   My confession stopped her abruptly, and she just regarded me with wide eyes. "What?" She breathed out, but seeing how her eyes starting glistening with unshed tears, she knew where this was heading.

   I tried to smile, but it was difficult to maintain as I hopped off the island, so I could move closer to her. "I have to leave," I repeated apologetically. "Rolie... he said it's the only way. They know I'm here."

   When I said my next words, my throat started to close up. "Micah is here."

   Hearing that, Sydelle widened her eyes. She didn't waste any more time as she leapt into my arms, holding me tight despite her small physique. "God, Lee, I..." She dug her head into my chest before a shaky breath left her. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry you have to deal with him. Them."

   "They're your family too," I reminded her with a soft chuckle before hugging her back.

   She snorted. "Barely. I don't like them like I like you. Plus, Micah was always a bully when I visited you guys."

   Since mom and Luba were sisters, and were close for that matter, they visited us, at least once a year. And being raised with a household of men full of themselves, visiting Sydelle had always been like sunshine coming out during a day you thought was darkest.

   "Micah was always the mean one," I mumbled, mostly to myself, but when she nodded in response, I knew she heard me.

   We hugged in silence for another few moments, but as I began to close my eyes, Sydelle shifted out from my hold. "When... when are you leaving?"

   I waited until she stood across from me again before tightly smiling. "A few weeks from now. After the fundraiser. Then I have to skedaddle." My tone was light and playful, but Sydelle still kept her pained features.

   "Did you talk to my mom yet?" She asked in seriousness. "Maybe if she talks to your dad, he'll let you—"

   "He didn't let me leave my room without security, Sydelle," I said, harsher than intended. "He will never let me stay thousands of miles away from him."

   "It's worth a shot, right?" Her lips started to tremble the same moment a tear slid down her cheek. "It's better than you leaving, who knows where, all by yourself."

   "I wanted to be in New York, Syd," I began, inhaling slowly to try to contain my composure. "Because of you. Because mom grew up here. But... I have to go. Find another place to land before they find me again. Because as much as you don't want to admit it, the second they get me, they won't let me go."

   With all her strength, I stared at Sydelle as she nodded sharply, almost as if she was forcing herself to accept the truth.

   "Come here," I whispered, opening my arms for another hug.

   She didn't need to think twice before enveloping her arms around my waist, and I did the same before closing my eyes. And while I mumbled words of comfort, I prayed that I listen to them too.

   Because to ignore my own pain, I allowed myself to console Sydelle's. Maybe that could help me accept my own reality.

   Sydelle broke the silence first after what felt like minutes. "What about Daemon?"

   I pushed my shoulders back as I stiffened. "What about him?" I questioned, only to clear my throat when my voice sounded hoarse.

   She pulled herself away from me, and I watched as she moved to my right, on the other side of the sink, where the bottle of tequila stayed, upright. She grabbed her shot glass from the counter across from me before filling it up, only to drown the liquid in seconds.