(v) upgrade

Depuis le début

"i'm beginning to think you're just using me for my tosses"

"caught on, have you?"

he chuckled, "you're something else. what's in it for me"

"what do you want?"

"i don't know, you're the lucky one. hanging out with the best setter in the world."

"wait, oikawa tooru is here?!"

"did you bring me here with you so that you can insult me?", he pouted

"i'm sorry i'm sorry", she laughed, "how about... for every toss, you get to ask me one question"

"we have a deal"

they went on for a good three hours. she would probably never not be in awe of his skill.

he actually found it refreshing. he didn't remember the last time he played just for the sake of it, outside of his rigorous training and overwhelming schedule.

he gave good advice and criticism which she took seriously. his high school self would've never done this, if he was being honest.

and he kept the questions coming too.

"what's your type?"

"daniel ricciardo"

"damn, really?"

"yes. all guys are substitutes for daniel ricciardo."

"what was your image of me before you actually met me?"

"i didn't really have one i was just all ooooh MSBY what a team they must have a really good setter."

"ouch"

"what'd you expect me to say?!"

"that you thought i was hot or somethin' like that"

"i never said you weren't"

he looked at her and smirked. "well aren't you bold?"

"what the fuck did i say he's hot out loud"

"i'm just honest", she played it off as nothing.

eventually the questions stopped and they were just talking, shifting from topic to topic.

they talked about food, music, anime, serial killers, meme formats.

till now she hadn't even considered that he had interests outside of volleyball but he was actually pretty opinionated about most things. he either liked things or absolutely despised them, there was no in between.

it was entertaining to listen to. it felt like the start of a very very unlikely friendship.

neither knew why the fuck they got along so well??

"so tomorrow's the final huh", tsumu said, as they cleaned up and put the volleyballs away. "are you nervous?"

"weirdly, not that much. but i'm not entirely confident either."

"win tomorrow", he said, and they did a fist bump

"i will"

they sneaked out of the school building, reaching the street that seemed quiet and less crowded than it was when they were arriving.

"l/n y/n", they were interrupted as two girls stood before them, "you really have some confidence, huh. looking so carefree before the final"

the captain and libero of their opponent for the finals, shirato high. they'd never won against niiyama so far, even though last year they had come particularly close.