Chapter 18

After receiving information from dispatch about the location of Billy's cell phone, Thor called in an anonymous tip to Fury's team, but instead of waiting around, Nat and Thor pulled onto the interstate, following the cellphone south to San Diego.

Thor stared out the window, resting his elbow on the window railing with his chin in his hand. "I'm sorry, Natasha, for acting like a jerk earlier. I know you were doing your job and following orders. I would've done the same."

"We've good," Nat replied, giving him a once over. "You doing okay?"

"I keep thinking everything will be okay, and everything will work out--" he rubbed his eyes "--but um, I don't know... I don't know what we are going to find when we get there? Is she gonna be mad at me, is she going to be hurt, is she gonna be..." Thor took in a sharp breath, clearing his throat. "Billy threatened to kill her once before, you know, and he almost killed Steve. I'm afraid of what we are going to find."

"Don't think like that," Natasha reassured, patting him on the shoulder. "We'll find her." She bit her lip, nodding to herself for her own reassurance. "YN's strong...and with everything she went through, she rebuilt her life and herself. Billy might have her, but I have a feeling he has no idea who he is dealing with now."

Thor nodded, "If Billy lays another one of his grimy hands on her, he will suffer a fate worse than death. He'll be..."

"More dead?" Nat asked, trying to contain a chuckle in this highly stressed situation.

"Yes, but I was thinking more like being stuck in rush hour traffic for the rest of his life," Thor smirked, trying to keep the conversation light.

"Oh yes, that sounds so much worse."

_____________

"Where are we going?" You questioned, sneaking a peek at Billy, gripping the steering wheel.

"We're starting over. I'm saving us from this tricky situation you put us in."

You leaned back into your seat, chewing on the inside of your cheek. "Right, because everything is my fault," you grimaced, rolling your eyes. "Why don't you get it over with and kill me? I mean, isn't that your plan."

"WHOA, WHOA, WHOA," Billy retorted, widening his eyes. "I can't imagine my life without you. Why would I want to kill you, YN; I love you. You're all I have."

"But, that's it, you don't have me," you mumbled, wringing your hands together. "I just never got a say in the matter."

He huffed out a breath, shaking his head. "What's with this attitude?"

"Well...what more do I have to lose? I lost my friends and family...like yesterday, and now, you're all I have," you admitted with a shrug. "It's what you wanted, right? Me and you, both ghosts, living in the shadows, or did this car come with new identities, too? Oh wait, is that what's in the duffle bag in the backseat?"

"Why would you think that?" He narrowed his eyes, licking his lips.

"Well, a creepy guy with a scar and milky eye drops off a car at a gas station. Now, doesn't that sound like the start of a bad joke? I mean, he definitely didn't look like a criminal or a bad guy in his dark suit, and his name sounded so original, Agent Orange. I think I know a few people by that name." You pressed your lips together, tilting your head. "On the other hand, if he looked like a dad, wearing crispy white boys on his feet, jean shorts, and a polo shirt. It would have been an immediate red flag."

Billy smirked, shaking his head. "Luckily for you, you don't have to worry. I have our lives all planned out, but I did miss your snarky attitude. Whatever happened to it?"