Chapter 17

Nat kept a watchful eye on Thor when he came back to the waiting room. He was twirling his phone in his hand when his eyes connected with hers; He shot her a hard glare before shaking his head. She grimaced, letting out a scoff and stood up a little straighter. She turned her attention back to assist Clint with asking routine questions to Bucky, Carol, and Val. Bucky's eyes connected with hers, and he reached out, taking her hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze before letting go. She nodded, putting a strand of hair behind her ear.

Nat tried to focus on doing her job, but she was too close to this. You were one of her best friends, and she was scared for you in this situation. She wanted to believe what Thor was saying about Jig and Billy being the same person, but she needed proof or some sort of evidence, pointing them in that direction. Steve's phone was the key to this, but she couldn't go through it in case they needed it to use against him in court. She didn't have a problem with lying, but if the defense found out what she did, she would be screwed and possibly lose her job. Billy deserved to be locked up for everything he did to you, and that cell phone would be another reason on a long list of reasons to lock him up. She wanted to protect you like Thor did, but it needed to be done right.

"Natasha," Thor shouted, forcing her head to snap in his direction. He was heading their way with Sam behind him. "Sam can confirm Billy and Jig are the same person. He met Jig once."

She narrowed her eyes, crossing her arms across her chest. "Is this true, or are you making it up?"

"It's true," Sam nodded. "I met him one night at Happy's. It was a quick meeting, but you don't forget that white boy's pretty face."

Nat's mouth dropped open, covering it with her hand in shock. Bucky was beside her, placing a reassuring hand on the small of her back. She looked over at him with tearful eyes as her mind drifted to the worst-case scenario. Bucky pulled her into a hug, and everything around her became white noise.

Billy got to you; he abducted you and almost killed Steve in the process. She squeezed her eyes shut, pulling Bucky closer. How did this happen? How did he even find you? How long has he been here? What was going to happen to you? All these unanswered questions flooded her mind until everything went silent. This was what she needed, evidence to find you and bring you home safe. Her eyes snapped open, pulling away from Bucky. She smirked at him, and his blue eyes narrowed at her.

"Keep me updated on Steve, will you?" She whispered, putting her hands on his cheeks.

He nodded. "As long as you do the same with YN."

She kissed him, turning around and catching Thor's eye. "Thor, let's go."

"Wait, what? Where?" Thor was looking between everyone as if asking if they had the answers.

"To find your sister, but we may have to ask for a little help."

"But, I thought you weren't technically on the case?"

"Small technicality. Nick will forgive me; I'm one of his favorites," she winked, and Clint nodded in agreement. "Besides, I'm also a concerned friend of the victim, and I'm just following a possible lead. It could lead to something, or it might not." Nat shrugged, looking over to Clint. "Cover for me?"

"It's what I do best."

"Let's go get this bastard," Thor stated, giving Nat a forgiving nod.

__________

The soft melody coming from the radio woke you up, but you didn't move. A breeze hit your face, and the smell of the ocean hit your nose. A calm sensation came over you as you moved ever so slightly, feeling your hands bound, restricting your movement. Taking in another breath, a hint of familiar cologne came to your senses. You gulped, turning your head to what you hoped was a window. A sharp pain hit the side of your face, making you wince, causing your eyes to flicker open. The car sat parked near the ocean, and you could see the sun rising in the distance, cascading a soft glow over the landscape. You glanced at your hands, seeing a zip tie wrapped around them. You gulped, looking over to the driver's seat to find your ex-husband wrapping his wrist. Your eyes widened as your mind flashed to him on the other side of the door, Steve laying motionless on the ground, the struggle in your condo, Cosmo attacking, and a punch to your face that knocked you out cold.