Chapter 7

You had four boxes. Your life fit into four boxes. Sure, you didn't have a bed or furniture, but luckily a few friends pitched in and gave you stuff they had laying around. Darryl had a spare TV and a TV stand; Sam offered you a coffee table and a few end tables; Bucky had three lamps his mom had given him, so they were pretty vintage, but you were okay with that. Nothing would match, but at least it was a start. Thor agreed to help you move the bigger furniture that couldn't fit in your car and ended up inviting Sam, Bucky, and Steve along to help since they had the day off. More so, we were using Steve for his truck to haul things.

You unlocked the door, carrying your luggage and a box from your car inside. You looked around, remembering how the pictures online didn't do the place any justice compared to seeing it in person. It had exposed brick on one of the walls in the living room while the rest of the walls were gray with white trim. It was small with an open first floor and stairs going up to the second story where the bedroom was. It even had a small balcony overlooking the first floor. Your bedroom had a walk-in closet with a washer and dryer in it and a furnished bathroom with a footed tub.

A huge feature that attracted you to this place was the security system. Your new landlady, Maria Hill, reassured you that she installed the best security system on the market from X-Con Security Consultants. They even created an app where you could look at all the cameras outside, and if the alarm is triggered, police are notified right away. The seven-foot concrete walls built around the nook of houses and the front entrance gate also made you feel more confident about living here. You had a few neighbors inside the walls, but from what Maria told you, they were great company.

You left your luggage at the door and set the box on the island in the kitchen. The kitchen had dark brown cabinets with a marbled countertop and newly installed stainless steel appliances. You always loved to cook, and you were surprised you only had one box labeled kitchen on it. You let out a deep breath realizing how excited and nervous you were to start over. You were excited to decorate and bring your new place to life with your personality, including the cutest nicknacks, rugs, and furniture. But there was a sense of nervousness to be out on your own. What will happen when he finds you? Will he hurt you, take you away, or worse? It sent a shiver down your spine just thinking about it.

"Is this everything?" Sam asked, placing two end tables in the living room area.

"For now," you replied with a half shrug. "I'll accumulate stuff."

"Where's the bed?" Steve questioned.

"Right there." You pointed to the air mattress still in the box.

"That's not a bed, girl. Come on, peeps, we're going shopping. Steve's truck can handle the haul," Sam announced, marching back out the door with Thor and Bucky behind him.

"Well, can't argue with that. I guess I'm buying a bed today." You shrugged, and Steve smirked, following you out the door.

_______

The furniture store had a lot of cute things you wish you could buy, but for now, you decided against it. All you needed was a bed, so that's all you were going to get. This place had a huge selection of beds, but it was going to be a challenge to find the right one.

"YN, this one is amazing. Lay next to me and try it out." Bucky patted the bed beside him.

"No, come over here, and you'll know what it feels like to have a real man in your bed," Sam challenged, throwing his hands behind his head and closing his eyes.

"Real man is a strong word for you, Wilson. Don't you think?" Bucky joked, throwing a pillow and hitting him in the face.

You rolled your eyes and laid down on a few beds, but they were no good. It was like Goldilocks and the Three Bears. You just couldn't find the right one. One was too firm, one was too soft, and you still haven't found the one that was just right. You walked around the corner of beds to find Steve lying comfortably on a bed with his eyes closed.