“It hurts because people choose to hurt other people.” She grimaced.

Jacob straightened his back and whispered; “It hurts because the love you have is true, otherwise you wouldn’t bat an eyelid.”

“Is it that simple?”

“Nothing is simple and trust me, that feeling you have will only get worse before it gets better.”

He smiles at her and slowly turns on his heel. Selena wasn’t so sure what he meant by what he said but he left her perplexed and speechless. For a moment, Jacob sounded like he was talking from experience.

The night grew darker while Selena continued to gaze up the moon. At times like these when all she needed was comfort, she looked up in the sky. It made forgetting Nathaniel a bit easier. It hurt to open up and see a future without her mate but letting things go was a much safer route.

~•°•~

After spending time alone, Selena decided to retreat to her room around midnight. She tried her best to raise her chin and be strong for her mother and father. Appearing weak and defenseless was not what she wanted. She needed to learn how to fight. How to drive a blade right through a wolf’s throat to protect herself and how to properly run from a fight if needed. And there was only one wolf that could help her, Lively.

Selena moved from her bed after spending a good night’s rest and exited her room. Determination pushed her to walk further and Selena didn’t want to stop. Her feet threaded the floor steadily until she reached Lively’s room

For a moment she pauses, gulping nervously. She wasn’t so sure if Lively would listen to her but either way, Selena knocked on Lively’s door and waited. It didn’t take a long time until Winston came and opened the door. His bright eyes nervously looked at Selena. They stay at each other until she spoke.

“Uh…am I interrupting something?” She asks.

Winston’s flushed expression reddened, even more, when he tried to speak.

“No, of course not.” He stuttered.

His shaky tone proved otherwise. As Selena’s eyes strayed down his body, she noticed that Winston wore nothing except the towel that looked haplessly wrapped around his body.

“Win, who is it?” Lively’s voice came whispering from inside the room. “Come inside already, please.”

Selena reddened once she realized what was going on and started to panic. Lively and Winston were husband and wife, after all. It was just a normal thing to them but for Selena and after interrupting them, she felt nervous and completely embarrassed.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry.” She chanted over and over again.

“Selena, what’s going on? Why are you apologizing?” Lively appeared on her husband’s side, her body wrapped with a blanket.

“I’m sorry for disturbing the two of you.” Selena refused to meet their eyes, opting to plant her sights on her feet.

Lively chuckled. “Honey, it’s fine. Wait for me here and we’ll get dressed.”

Selena had no other choice but to comply. Her uneasiness towards the situation is shown through her tomato-colored cheeks. She patiently waited under the shadow of her anxiety. Minutes later when Lively emerged fully dressed, she released a sigh that she was unknowingly holding.

The wolf only gleefully shrugged, leaning her head to the side. Selena wasn’t too thrilled to speak with her now right after what happened. Suddenly, all she wanted to do was melt and seep through the flooring.