Chapter 54: Highs and Lows

Start from the beginning

Klaus, who hadn't realized she was referring to the swing, looked at her with wide eyes. His mouth opened as he struggled to come up with a reply. "You want one?" He was slightly shocked by her words. In his mind, he worriedly debated whether she knew vampires couldn't procreate.

She nodded. "Yeah. Do you think I should get one?"

Once again, he was at a loss for words. She was asking his opinion on getting a swing, but he thought she was asking his opinion on her getting a child.

"I, um, I don't know, love." He looked down at Estelle, before bringing his gaze back to the demigod. "I mean, they can be cute, but they're a lot of work." His blue eyes scanned over the side of her face. "And it might be a bit early to have this conversation."

Percy turned to him, "You think I can't afford one?"

Klaus shook his head. "No. No, that's not what I'm saying."

"And I don't see how it's that much work. You just need to have a good push, and bam you're set."

The original's imagination turned to labor, which made him cringe slightly. "Well, there can be a lot of pushing involved. Labor-"

Percy cut him off, "Labor? I'd hardly call it that. I mean you gotta move your legs a bit, but-"

"Love, I don't think you have a complete understanding of it. I've heard many stories of what it can be like, and it's not that easy." He spoke, referring to women giving birth.

The demigod couldn't believe him. "Stories from who? Toddlers who don't know what they're talking about?"

"No. Why would I talk to toddlers about this?" He was growing more confused as the conversation continued.

Percy looked at him. "Have you not done it before?"

He was acting like he had never been on a swing set before.

Klaus' eyes widened again. "I have done it before. But you know, vampires are technically dead so we can't exactly..."

"Oh you can't have fun, because you're dead? Honestly, Nik, this whole conversation is just weird."

The hybrid looked like he was going insane by how utterly baffled he was. He didn't think he was the one being weird.

"I mean, I'll admit that recent meetings," he glanced at Estelle who was smiling up at him, "have made them more appealing. But, it's a big commitment and," his words paused as his voice grew softer, "I don't know if I'm good enough for that sort of thing."

Percy raised an eyebrow. "Do you think I'd get bored of having it after a while? Or would I forget about it after a week or so?"

Klaus was taken aback by the question. He didn't think she could forget about a baby after a 'week or so.' "No, I don't see how you could. Although there can be many highs and lows, it's a great experience. And, I think you'd actually be great at it."

"Yeah." The demigod agreed with him.

There were a lot of highs and lows with swinging. You go up in the air and then you come back down.