Chapter 37: Complaints

Start from the beginning

Betty put some new ones away for me a couple of days ago, no doubt at Heloix's command, but I didn't intend for him ever actually to go through my drawers. My hands move to cover the dresser drawer he reaches for but Heloix is too fast, his hands darting forward to pull it open and expose the contents inside.

He freezes as he takes in the objects, and I shove his hands aside and slam the drawer shut.

"I don't know how those got there." I lie, unsure how else to explain the hoard of his dirty shirts I have been snatching from his laundry basket and hiding in here.

Ignoring me, he reaches back out and opens the drawer once more, easily overpowering my attempts to keep it shut. My hands start to clam up as he carefully grabs the one on top, lifting it slowly and bringing it up to his nose, inhaling deeply.

"You've been wearing them." He comments, eyes flashing as his Beast takes in the news.

I don't bother denying the accusation, knowing that there is no point. Instead, I drop my head to my feet, humiliated that he has found out about my secret. I don't know why I've been doing it, and each time I grab another I tell myself that it will be the last one, yet each day when Heloix leaves for work I find myself sneaking into his room and grabbing the shirt he wore the day before. At first I was just sniffing them in shame, comforted by his smell, but at some point I started wearing them too, going about my mornings in just his t-shirt before Betty shows up.

"Why are you so embarrassed?" Heloix asks, ducking so he's eye level with me. "I like that you took them."

I refuse to meet his eye, opting instead to look at my feet like they are the most exciting objects in the world. He stares at me for a moment longer before straightening back up and placing the shirt back into its original spot. Without another word, Heloix closes the drawer and opens the one next to it, his chubby fingers digging around for a suitable bra.

It doesn't take long before he's pulling out a strapless red one and holding it out for me to take. I'm quick to snatch it out of his hands, feeling frustrated that he's picking out all my clothing for me.

"I'll wait outside for you to get changed." Heloix states. I'm grateful that he isn't commenting further on me stealing his clothing, and nod shyly.

Silently he turns and sets the dress on my bed before leaving the room, the door closing behind him with a quiet click. I don't waste any time changing out of my clothing and slipping on the tight dress. The bra takes me a moment to figure out and is quite uncomfortable, but it does an excellent job of keeping me covered.

I stare at myself in the mirror to double-check my appearance, hands fiddling with my hair and smoothing down the front of my dress as I try to work up the courage to leave my room. Heloix is the only person who has seen me in such nice clothing and I worry about the rumors that will spread when the other humans see me in such an extravagant dress. I especially worry about what Heloix's people will think of me, as they will undoubtedly be curious as to why a human woman is accompanying him.

Leaning forward, I start inspecting my skin, frowning at the minor blemishes that mar my face. As I move in to pick at one a loud knock sounds at the door, and Heloix yells my name through the wood.

"You okay in there?" He questions.

I nod before realizing that he can't see me.

"Yes, coming out now."

With one last glance at my body, I turn away from the mirror and leave my room. Heloix stands just outside the door, his head nodding as he takes in my appearance. I remain still under his scrutiny, eager to see his reaction.