Chapter 33: Apologies

Heloix stands next to the bed watching me pack, his hands shoved deep into his pockets as he rocks back slightly on his heels. Wanting nothing to do with him at the moment, I avoid his gaze and pretend as if I don't notice him staring at me from five feet away.

With a quiet huff, I shove my dress into the suitcase, the material crumpling at the rough treatment. Despite the long travel time, Heloix agreed to get a car for us to go home in, his desperation to appease my anger leading him to agree to my request.

Slamming the suitcase closed, I push down on the top in an attempt to flatten bulging material as I reach for the zipper. Unfortunately, my lack of neat folding has made the insides bulkier, preventing the top from closing enough for me to zip it. I push on the top once more, a small grunt falling from my lips as I lean on it to add some additional weight.

"Do you want any help?" Heloix asks, taking a small step towards me.

"No." I respond curtly.

Heloix halts his advance, his feet freezing against the floor the moment the word is out of my mouth. His suitcase sits at the top of the bed, having been packing in less than ten minutes. I stare at it in anger, frustrated by anything that has to do with Heloix.

My blood boils every time I think of him, fury that he brought me here to destroy our bond filling every pore of my body.

"Adeline, I can feel your hurt. I'm not going to make you live like Jo." Heloix murmurs, stepping towards me once more.

I move away from him, rejecting his advances, and grab onto the handle of the suitcase. I clench it tightly within my fist as I yank it away from him.

"Oh? So you're going to publicly claim me and make me Queen consort?" I retort, snorting at the end of my words.

Heloix has made it quite clear that he has no plans to follow through on such an action, avoiding the question every time I ask. He dodges every question I bring up to him, acting as if all of this is news to him as well.

My lips pull down into a frown as I continue. "You're going to claim some other woman and stick me into a role of shitty mistress."

I turn and walk towards the door, pacing slightly as I vent my anger. "I want to go back to King Richard's."

A loud growl emerges from Heloix's chest as I say this, the noise prompting me to spin around and watch as his eyes flash in anger. I notice his lips pushing out slightly as his canines begin to extend, but I pay them no mind.

I may not know much about Beast culture, but I do know that their mates are sacred. His Beast won't hurt me, even if the man that is tied to it would.

"No!" Heloix snaps, quickly moving forward to grip my arms and put an end to my pacing. "And I told you I'm not going to take another."

Rolling my eyes, I rip my arm from his and move back to the suitcase I abandoned. Lies. All he says to me are lies, and if it's not a direct lie then an admittance of the truth, which is practically the same thing.

"Then why don't you tell me what you are going to do." I snap.

"Fuck Adeline, I don't know." Heloix sighs, bringing his hand up to pinch the bridge of his nose. "I need time to figure it out."

I scoff, not believing him for one second. He's had more than enough time to figure it out, and if after months he still hasn't gotten a plan then I doubt he ever will. He's going to keep me in this limbo, forced to remain by his side until his people demand he take a Beast mate.

If I were a Beast, I would reject him and find a better man who treats me as an equal. Although, if I were a Beast, we wouldn't be in this position in the first place as he would have accepted me immediately. His people would have been overjoyed that he found someone, and we'd likely already be bonded by now.