Chapter 12: Adjustments

"So, when do you start?" John asks, plopping down on my bed.

I shrug, having no idea. "Probably tomorrow."

I'm honestly still in shock that I've been given my own room. The guard who took me here didn't give me much information, but did inform me that I'm no longer to be serving the King and that somebody will come by later to fill me in on my new role.

John arrived just a couple of minutes later, having rushed immediately here after finding out about my whereabouts. Unfortunately, he only knows the same information as I, the unknown making me a bit nervous.

It was pretty uncommon, but possible, for servants to get their own bedroom back at King Richard's, but apparently it has never happened here in Ziad.

I'd never admit to it out loud, but I'm a bit upset that I won't be working directly for the King anymore. It's silly to say, but I felt that we got along quite well and could have had a decent friendship. Hell, just today he told me that I could call him Heloix when we are alone!

The room I was taken to is the one that I awoke in this morning. I was shocked to realize that I've been moved to the top floor where the King and Second reside, and even more so to discover that I'm staying in the King's private wing.

The space is just as I left it this morning, backing up my assumption I slept in here alone. I'm still unsure how I got here last night, but I'd like to believe that the King brought me here and not some random guard.

"We should get you some plants for your window. I'm pretty close with the gardener, so I bet I could convince him to cut me off a vine or something." John says excitedly.

I spin around, looking towards the window in question. It overlooks the gardens, a beautiful view that is even better than King Heloix's.

"Yeah, that would be nice!" I agree.

John continues walking around the room, pointing out all the decorations I should make and calling dibs on my shower. Laughing, I promise to let him use it whenever he wants.

Knowing that I should unpack before the guards come back, I grab my sack off the floor and bring it over to the dresser. There's a small closet in here with a couple of hangers that I use to hang my dresses. I only have three, including the one that I'm wearing, and I hold back a snort as I take in the view of my sad excuse of a closet. Shaking my head, I turn my attention to the dresser and quickly stuff my undergarments inside.

I only have enough clothing to fill up two of the drawers, which is honestly pretty lovely because now I have extra space to hide any fun things I find over the years. Back at King Richard's, I only had a small singular drawer and any knick knacks I managed to find were always thrown away by the guards during inspection.

John continues walking around the room as he shares his grand vision for the space. If I didn't know any better I'd say he's more excited about this than I am.

"Maybe I can find you some spare fabrics that we can piece together to make you some curtains."

I hum, doubtful that we would be able to source enough fabric for that.

"We can try." I respond, not wanting to spoil his good mood.

A knock on the door quickly silences our conversation and we exchange nervous glances as we wait for the Beasts to enter.

The door swings open, but to my surprise it's the King and his Second that step inside the room. Both look serious and turn to glare at John as they enter.

Both men speak out at the same time.

"What are you doing here?"

"Shouldn't you be cleaning my quarters?"