Chapter 16: Missing

I roll my wrist in an attempt to crack it a couple of times, hoping it will alleviate some of the tension. I've been reading through the book on Beast culture practically all day, making detailed notes on anything that seems important or shocking.

The book is so much more informative than I thought it would be, and I find myself unable to step away from the intriguing words. I opened it early this morning with the intention of just getting a couple of pages in, but found myself almost immediately ensnared in the writing.

The book covers all aspects of Beast life, from clothing to mates to social conventions. I'm honestly shocked at the differences outlined in this book to what I see in the Castle, and I wonder how accurate they all are.

I make a mental note to ask Heloix about the truth of them all, especially the ones regarding children. It's hard to believe that looking children in the eye is actually seen as a sign of aggression, and oftentimes also seen as a challenge to the parent.

Glancing out the window, I notice that the sun is starting to fall, my sign that I need to head down soon if I want to get any dinner. I was so wrapped up in reading this morning that I missed breakfast, and my stomach is making its displeasure known.

I close the hardcover with a sigh and carefully place my pencil on the table. Picking up the papers in front of me, I straighten them out and read over my words once more, ingraining them into my head. If I'm completely honest with myself, the Beasts seem pretty barbaric. I assumed that life outside the castle was relatively similar to that within, but it sounds like the Royals live a much tamer lifestyle.

There haven't been any deaths or gruesome acts happen while I've been here, but according to this book it's not exactly uncommon to see Beasts fighting on the street. Apparently it isn't typically with the intention to kill, but deaths do happen.

Glancing out the window once more, I let out a deep huff and stand. I'm a bit anxious to go down to dinner after the incident with Gwen in Heloix's office, but I can't avoid it forever.

The chair creaks loudly as I push it back, making me wonder briefly how much the Beasts can hear inside my room. It's no secret that they have excellent hearing, and I wouldn't be surprised if the guards outside the King's chambers could listen in. Our rooms are right around the corner from one another, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they've been tasked with listening in to what I do during the day to make sure that I'm not up to anything sneaky.

Shaking away the thoughts, I quickly throw on a clean dress and rush out of the room. As always, the hallway is empty, but as I round the corner I spot the King's guard standing along the wall, his body stoic and unmoving.

He pays me no attention as I pass, and I quickly scurry down the hall and into the stairwell. Thankfully it's empty and I'm able to make my way down and to the servant's quarters with no issues.

The servant's area is already pretty full, dozens of people milling about chatting with one another as they eat from the large bowls in their hands. I eagerly make my way past them and into the kitchen, my body stiffening as I spot Gwen sitting at the head of the table chatting with a couple of others. She doesn't notice me, and I make sure to stick to the edge of the room as I walk towards the food.

I look around for John or Emma, hoping to have somebody to eat with, but they aren't anywhere in the room so I sneak back out into the corridor with my food. I haven't really made any friends in the castle, and almost always find myself regretting it whenever I am forced to eat alone. In the beginning I was too nervous and shy to talk to others, but now that I'm sleeping upstairs and only coming down a couple times a day, there isn't any time.