12. The devil you know - M.

Start from the beginning

Why is he so stupidly attractive? Those lashes are every girl's dream. I cannot even be properly pissed. 

She leaned closer and whispered, not forgetting what force was driving her. 

"Do you remember what you did when I begged you for something, Erik?" Her tone was hateful, and she felt how as a reaction his arms constricted around her. It felt good and she almost gasped. Almost. 

"Please don't push it, Milena,"

His voice sounded half angry and half concerned.

The song ended and to Mila's surprise, two women and a man came over to the dancefloor and bowed their heads in greeting towards her and Erik.

"Charlotte, Yelena, Magnus, this is Milena. All your eyes should be on her tonight," explained Erik.

"It is an honor," said Yelena.

Yelena was tall and had dark brown hair and brown eyes framed by thick lashes. She was not pretty in a conventional way but seemed kind and her slender figure and bright smile made her attractive.

"Milady, it's a pleasure," seconded Magnus.

Magnus was blond and blue-eyed like Michael but broad and not that tall. He seemed silent and trustworthy.

Charlotte only bowed her head. She looked at Mila almost disdainfully. 

"She means trouble and you know that, right?" she said to Erik ignoring Mila completely.

"It just is how it is, Charlotte, and I don't remember asking for your opinion," replied Erik, surprising Mila.

"Apologies, sir," answered Charlotte blushing.

She likes him. And he does not seem to like her back. I wonder why; she is very pretty.

Charlotte was indeed very pretty with her short-cropped black hair and piercing blue eyes. According to her accent, she seemed French.

Ignoring Erik's order, Mila grabbed a glass of champagne from a table and drank it in one sip looking Erik defyingly in the eyes in front of the new people.

"Stop that! I don't want to have to carry you home," he spat, rolling his eyes.

Mila was aware that one glass would not make her drunk. Neither did she want to be. Her senses had to be awake if she wanted to escape.

"Oh... how effortlessly you manage to kill every possible little pleasure around me," she replied and was surprised to see that the answer didn't anger him but made him subtly sad.

The big room was neatly decorated and people were dancing or chatting jolly. It was one hour before midnight and Mila didn't have any plan yet. 

Midnight will be a good moment. Everyone will be distracted by fireworks and other people. Maybe Charlotte will distract or annoy Erik long enough so that I can escape.

The 'how' was still a problem; she needed car keys or some help.

There was a man across the room who kept looking at her. It felt like his eyes were burning holes into Mila.

He was tall and seemed also muscular, like probably everyone in that room. 

How on earth are they all so fit?

There was something familiar about him and his ebony skin and dark eyes but Mila could not put her finger on what it was. Had she seen him before? Unlikely. He smiled when he saw her looking at him, seemingly happy that he finally caught her attention.