33. The silver court - M.

Kiril didn't speak on the way out of the opera, nor on their drive to an unknown second destination.

Mila was sure that room must have been something like the entry to hell and that little girl was probably some sort of Cerberus.

Touching the little pinch wound was the only thing reminding her that it had been real, not a nightmare.

After further minutes, she realized a silent Kiril was even more creepy than a talking one.

"Are you... uh... okay?" she asked timidly.

"Sure, why wouldn't I be?"

"Well, because the demon girl made you kiss her and whispered something to you that seemed to creep you out. Taking into account who you are, I cannot even begin to imagine what she said."

"We are going to fly to Rome now," said Kiril ignoring her. 

"Okay... Rome... yes that makes sense," answered Mila slightly irritated by his dismissive response. 

"I thought we still had time to go shopping, but we don't. Ju bought an adequate dress for you."

As if I care. As is whatever you say matters. 

Rome. Rome was where Erik, rather Lucius, was.

After an hour of flying, they reached Rome. A wolf was waiting for them at the airport and drove them to the city in a black Mercedes.

The air in Rome at the beginning of May was warm and pleasant, but on a deeper level, it was filled with bad omens.

The ball was going to take place the next evening, so they still had some time to enjoy or kill.

Kiril seemed to have a preference for old villas, concluded Mila, when she saw where they were going to spend the night. They drove to a limestone building on the Adventin hill, with yet again a magnificent view of the city. 

Mila recalled details of her dreams; she recalled Rome two thousand years ago, the blood, the gore, the stench...

Somewhere in that city, she was going to meet Erik again but that time she was going to walk toward him likely holding Kiril's hand. How odd everything turned out to be.

Did it make any sense? That was a futile question. It was not like she had a choice in the end.

This time, there was an elegant bathtub in the middle of the room, just before the window that framed the city so magnificently. Ju came in unaffected and turned on the water. Then she dipped scented oils and other pleasantly smelling things into the water. Then she disappeared. The girl was strange, acting like Kiril's personal... something. 

The white bubbles looked and it smelled amazing. Objectively it was a nice idea, and on top of that, she was too tired to object. The sunset was setting over the city and reflecting in her bath water. Her muscles relaxed slowly. 

"Penny for your thoughts?" said Kiril entering the room and sitting on the edge of the tub. He didn't give a damn about her privacy, as usual.

"Yeah, sure. Get the fuck out," answered Mila irritated.

It didn't look like Kiril planned to move through.

"What do you want?"

"To enjoy our last night together."

"So you plan on letting me go after tomorrow?" asked Mila cautiously.

"Yes. If we survive."

"It doesn't sound as if you have much hope."