08. The truth about falling - M.

The sun rays were caressing Mila's face once again, forcing her to open her eyes.

She didn't know how late it was but she felt much better that morning. Three days had passed since her attempt to escape. The fever was gone and the wounds were not hurting anymore. They were healing quite well. If something, there were just going to be some scars. Additional scars... Different scars...

Different... That was a good word to describe her days there. Almost two weeks had passed since she arrived in that strange place. At that point, she was certain nobody would come for her. What she was uncertain about, was why she was still alive.

Angel and Michael had left the day before, letting her alone with him. She didn't see much of him though. The woman that gave her the keys was back. She was bringing her meals but she was not talking at all. It was quite obvious she was scared out of her mind of him.

I have to talk to him. This has to stop. What is on his damn mind?

He wasn't much of a talker and when he did talk, it was not to explain anything. 

What does he imagine? That I will just stand and watch my life getting ruined when it just started getting better?

She showered, got dressed, and braided her hair. Another thing that she noticed that had changed, was the fact that they didn't lock the door anymore. Any door.

Is Erik that confident I can't escape him?

She walked down the hall. Down the hall, that was where Angel said Erik's room was.

The last conversation they had before he left had been halfway funny, halfway strange.
He came to her room and told her they were going away for a week or two and that Erik was staying. When he noticed her expression he assured her that Erik was not going to hurt her.

"He's a good one. If I didn't have Michael, I would totally hit that," he said laughing and winking. Then he hugged her and whispered into her ear "I mean it. You should do that." His tone was ambiguous enough to keep her wondering if he actually meant that. 

She took a deep breath and knocked. Nothing. She tried again. Nothing.

He is probably not here.

Still, she pressed the door handle. Surprisingly, the door was not locked. As if an invisible force was driving her, she entered.

The room was slightly bigger than hers, incorporating office space and a lounge area. Same as hers, this room had one glass wall that was framing a beautiful picture, a snow-covered mountain peaking from behind the woods. The mist and the sun that morning made the view so beautiful Mila stared at it astonished.

The rest of the room matched the house: minimal, dark, sleek, and elegant. On a shelf, she saw a few framed photographs.

She stepped closer, still somehow not in control of her actions. Curiosity killed the cat in the end...

All the photos were black and white and seemed really old. One of them showed Erik together with Michael in military uniforms, and another pictured him and a beautiful woman with big bright eyes. He was looking at her with nothing less than pure adoration.

The bed was big and draped in black silk sheets that were tousled wildly. 

He must have woken up recently.

Mila gasped silently when she saw a laptop on the desk that was placed in front of the glass wall.

It was running, displaying a constantly changing diagram. That meant two things for Mila: that the computer was probably connected to the internet, meaning a possible escape route, and that the owner might be around after all.