Chapter 16: Our Fairy Night, Part 2

Начните с самого начала

"Y-Yes?"

"W-Would you like to dance with me?" Gray asked timidly, extending his left hand towards her. He praised himself for finally asking her to dance.

Juvia held his hand a bit more tightly than she intended to. "I would love to, Gray."

Gray slowly brought her to the dance floor. I'm feeling really nervous... but being with Juvia, he knew it was going to be okay. They were nervous together. They would figure it out together.

"Here..." Juvia guided both his hands to her waist. She curled her arms around his neck. They gazed at each other in silence, only to return smiles and let the music lead their bodies away.

As they danced, Gray appeared in deep thought about their relationship to this moment. From the moment they fought against each other to the moments they fought side by side. It was clear how Juvia felt about him, but what did he feel about her? Were they just friends? Or were they something more?

"Juvia..."

She hummed in response.

"I'm... really sorry." He hung his head down.

"S-Sorry? You have nothing to apologize for, Gray." Juvia assured him, even though she didn't know what he was apologizing for.

"No, it's just..." Gray glanced at her. "I've been thinking... about us."

"About us...?"

"I've been... thinking about my feelings lately." Gray said timidly.

"Oh, Gray..." Is that what I think it is? She tried to remain calm.

"You've always been there for me, Juvia. You've always stood by my side. I really appreciate you."

Juvia showed a smile of warmth. "By your side is where I want to b-"

"But... I don't deserve you, Juvia."

"... Huh?" Her eyes widened at his statement. Her heart stopped for a moment.

"I'm not... worthy enough to stand by you." Gray looked off to his side.

"What are you saying, Gray?!" Baffled that he could even say such a thing, Juvia raised her voice. "That's not true at all!"

"Juvia..." He gritted his teeth. "I've lost people important to me. People that I have failed to protect... and if I couldn't protect..."

If I couldn't protect you like I couldn't protect...

Master Urd, Ultear, my parents... He was always saved by them, only for them to lose their lives.

His master protected him from Deliorah at the cost of her own life.

Her daughter, Ultear, gave a second chance for Fairy Tail to fight back during the battle against Future Rouge at the cost of her life.

His father, Silver, banished his darkness and granted him Demon Slayer magic so he could protect his friends, only to vanish moments later.

He was afraid if the very same thing that happened to them was to happen to Juvia.

Tears began welling in his eyes, hurt by that thought.

Juvia gently rubbed his tears away with her thumb. "Gray darling, please don't cry..."

Gray held back his tears as best as he could. "I..."

"I'll always be by your side, Gray." She spoke in a hushed voice.

Guilt filled his heart. Why was she so kind to him? Why did she stay with him through all things thick and thin? How could he tell her he was afraid to lose her? That more than anything else in the world, he wanted to be with her and keep her safe?