Chapter 6: Alex's Mission

Alex

I woke up from my nap. Zach left a little while ago. I look on the floor where I had dropped the folder Father had given me. I sign, I should probably get on that. I walk over and pick up the folder. I open it and inside there is a coded piece of paper. I slowly read through it. Slowly, I start to pale. No. No, no, no. I begin shaking and I have to sit down. This can't be true. I read it again and again, but the words don't change. Maybe I got the code wrong, but looking at  the paper I know that didn't happen. I knew this day was coming. I just hoped it wouldn't come so soon. In my Father's elaborate handwriting, the letter read:

Alex,

We believe you are finally ready for what's most important. First, we must test you to insure you have the utmost loyalty to us. You will soon meet our leader, V. He has decided you will be given one of the most important tasks. You are in the perfect position to do so. Aren't you proud. If you can do this I will be so proud of you.

It has come to our attention that you have been frequenting at the building where Calvin Stonehill's son is interning. We want you to somehow convince Zach Stonehill and his whole family to come to a "peaceful event, where they can relax." Where they would be vulnerable. We want you to convince the whole family, or at the very least Calvin Stonehill, to go to warehouse 6 on Lark Street at 6:00 pm on May 11th. This is very important. No sooner, no later. I will be so proud of my son once he does this.

Your Father, Thomas Stevenson

p.s. We have measures in place in case you fail, so don't try anything. I know you are often a disappointment.

This made me angry, more than anything. I should warn Zach, but maybe I can stop whatever will happen before it happens? I need to think of a plan, maybe I can convince them to go to warehouse 6 on Lake Street instead of Lark Street, I know those areas often get mixed up. It wouldn't be much of a surprise if I had them go to the wrong place. But no, that wouldn't work. They would have people making sure their whole plan wasn't ruined by my simple mistakes. They  likely have lots of people making sure I don't screw up. If I did screw up they would jump me or fix whatever I do and make sure I never come near them again. Likely, in very unpleasant ways. I wish I knew who "they" are.

I've heard about V, but I don't know what he does or what his goal is. My Father makes him  sound like God, a very gruesome and terrifying god. I hope I never have to come face to face with him. What day did Father say he needed them? I look back at the note, May 11th. Shit, it's May 10th. Of course he has to give me one day and only one day to figure this out. It's enough time for me to do what he wants, but not to come up  with any alternative solutions. I wonder what they're planning?

I sign and run a hand down my face. I don't know what I'm going to do. I start to sit down when I hear the hard thump of Father knocking on the door. I start to get sick. What am I going to do? Before I can tell Father to come in he's already in my room, "change of plans," he says, "you're going to be with us on May 11th."

"What do you mean?" I start to tremble, but it's not noticeable yet.

"You are going to meet V. He's very curious about you, you know. He wants to learn all about the disobedient boy who can't follow rules, but is still the son of one of his most loyal followers. Right now I must prepare you to meet him. You should really be honored, most people don't meet him until they've done something right, but you, you my son have never done anything right." He continues to talk, but I zone out. He's going on his usual rant about V and honor and how I'm a disappointment of a son. Nothing too unusual. Except this time when he talks about V it feels more real because I have to meet him and- and he might do something to Zach. That echoed around in my mind for a while. He can't hurt Zach. I start to tremble more. I can't let anything happen to Zach.