Chapter 5: Alex's Dad

ZACH

I climbed down the tree as quickly as I could and knelt beside him. He seemed alright, considering he just fell from the top of the tree. I watch as Alex slowly opens his eyes and mumbles, "what happened?"

    "Can you stand?"

    "I- uhh," he groaned, "help me up." I wrap my arms around his shoulder and pull him up.

    "We have to get inside," I say, "there's a storm."

    "O-ow, my ankle hurts," Alex said leaning on me as I helped him back to the house.

    "Think you broke it?" If Alex broke his ankle that would be really bad. I don't think he could explain why he was in a tree right before a storm. If I hadn't made him follow me up the tree he wouldn't have fallen and he would be okay. I am literally the worst person in the world. I hurt Alex. I made him fall from a tree. It's all my fault.

    "I don't think I did."

    "What?" Oh, yeah. I asked if he broke his ankle, "we can check when we get inside."

    In response Alex nodded. As we slowly approached the house and brought him inside. Leia was barking at the rain and when I walked in Chase, my sister, was sitting on the couch, "Oi Chase, what are you doing here?"

    "I need Dad for something."

    "Yeah, I'm just gonna go upstairs now," I said glancing down at Alex who was staring at Chase, confused. He looked a little out of it.

    "Yeah, as natural as it is to pull random boys inside when you think no one else is home, I have a few questions," Chase said. I think she tried to make it a joke, but I'm not really in a laughing mood right now. I take a deep breath and guide Alex to the couch, "sit down."

    Alex sat and asked, "that's your sister right?"

    "Yeah, Chase."

    Chase then came up to me and looked me in the eye, "now that he knows who I am, can I know who he is?"

    "Alex," is all I say, I really don't feel like explaining any more, besides she'll figure it out.

    "Alex... Stevenson?" Chase asks.

    Alex nodded and Chase continued, "you didn't actually hurt him intentionally, right?"

    "You think I could hurt him?"

    "No, you're right, you're a weakling," I rolled my eyes and Chase asked, "so what happened?"

    "It's a long story, but the fastest way to say this is, Alex fell out of a tree."

    "What was he doing in a tree?" Both boys blushed and tried to cover it up, but were a little late to. Chase noticed and almost fell backwards.

    Alex looked at me and shrugged, "can you look at my ankle now?"

    "Yeah, sorry. Chase, can you get some ice?"

    "Whoa, whoa, whoa, when I get back you have to tell me everything."

    "Yeah, yeah, go get the ice," I called to Chase, then I looked at Alex's ankle, "can you move it?"
    "Barely," he muttered.

    "Alright, it's probably just sprained. You'll be able to walk normally within a few days."

    Alex looked so relieved. "Alex?" Alex looks up at me expectantly, "what would happen if you broke your ankle?"

    "I would have to get a cast?"