Chapter 1: Kislap ✰

ABS-CBN Parking Lot, Dec.18, 9:26p.m.

            “Kumislap ba talaga yung mata mo?”

            Richard stopped walking abruptly. Dawn’s question caught him by surprise. Para siyang biglaang binasa ng water gun. Ang tawag mo sa ‘kin noon, LOVE. Yes, the last word tugged at his heart, but he didn’t think it would show in his eyes.

            “Try mong itanong kay Vice.” He decided to play safe.

            “Oh, please. Lagi na lang bang ganito? You never had any straight answers to my questions!” she replied indignantly.

            “I’m being honest naman eh. Look, paano ko makikita kung kumislap ba talaga yung mata ko? Si Vice nga ang naka-witness, okay? Eh ba’t di mo naman kasi tiningnan?” he responded, quite calmly as he had expected.

            “Babe...”

            His whole body stiffened. His insides turned to ice. His heart skipped a beat. Damn, he missed that. Yes, it was a common term of endearment between lovers, but every time she says it, it becomes extraordinary and special.

            “Anong sabi mo?!”

            “Ang sabi ko babe.” A little smile played on her lips.

            “I heard. I just wanted you to say it again.” He turned to face Dawn, and smiled. “In fact, I want you to call me that again.”

            “Sira! Hahaha. This is not 20 years ago, Richard. It’s different now.” She backed away a little, since his face had been close to hers. Too close.

            “Is it?” The question hung between them. He grabbed her shoulders and pulled her closer, daring to look at those alluring eyes, trying to search for the answer he so longed to know.

            Dawn cleared her throat. “It’s late, Chard. I really have to go. Good night.” With that, she freed herself from his grasp and turned away.

            “Sandali,” he said, his voice nearly a whisper. “Yung good night kiss ko nga pala.”

            Hindi pa rin talaga nagbago, she thought. She turned and faced the man who once had her heart. Once had? Still has? She wasn’t sure. “Oo na, eto na.”

            He grinned as she neared. Ay, tinotohanan pala, he thought. He reached for her, and waited for her lips to touch his face. The kiss was tender, light, brief, familiar, yet the one he deeply desired after all this time.

            “O ayan good night na ha.” She smiled slightly, and walked away, leaving Richard staring after her in the darkness.

            “Good night, love,” he whispered.