nine - a ready sacrifice

Start from the beginning

“I’m not a full wolf.” She answered. “My grandmother was a human. A very sickly human. She had a hereditary disease which my mother inherited then to my brother and me. It’s not usual for wolves to die from human sickness, but in my case, cancer will be the death of me.”

It was the first time Selena had encountered someone with Katie’s affliction. The notion was completely unbelievable but seeing what was in front of her made her yield and stare.

She could only imagine the immense pain Katie had to go through. If her wolf was constantly repairing her body then it would also mean that she wasn’t able to shift to her wolf. And a wolf who couldn’t shift was no wolf at all.

“I can’t begin to imagine what you feel. The more time passes, the more our wolves weaken.” She murmured darkly.

“You’re right. I’m still alive because of my wolf and I only have some time left and that’s why I need to ask you, Selena.” Katie’s tone deepened.

Selena froze, watching her cautiously.

“Ask me what?”

“Have you heard about what happened to my brother?” Katie tried her best not to fall apart as she gave Selena a warm smile. “As I said, he was sick too. On his twenty-eighth birthday, he met his mate. He explained our family’s curse to her and she was quick to reject him. She left him because of something he couldn’t control. As wolves do, he killed himself by starving himself to death. It was a death slow and painful and a week after he was buried, his mate returned and begged me to tell her where my brother is. Isn’t love fickle?”

There was a dull pain in the pit of her stomach and Selena knew what it was. Katie’s story had successfully pulled her into a pool of guilt and pity.

“I don’t understand. Was that your question?” Selena spoke once she managed to regain her wits.

Katie sighed. “I know what you’re thinking…why I would want to covet someone else’s mate when I know first hand how much pain it brings to the table? My brother died because he didn’t prepare himself but now I’ve learned from his mistakes. I’m with Nathaniel because I’m afraid I’m going to end up just like my brother.”

Anger surrounded Selena’s vision. It wasn’t her intention to feel the way she was, but something about Katie’s words mocked her. She couldn’t help but feel hopeless. Like a dark veil of despair covered her eyes.

A side of her knew where the feeling was stemming from but she would have to go through hell before she would admit it.

“What would you do if your mate or Alpha Stormwind’s mate show up? Wouldn’t that be a problem?”

Katie shrugs. “I know I’ll always choose Nathaniel. I know my heart belongs only to him and I know he’s going to choose me too. I made him promise that no matter what happens, he and I were going to stick together.”

Selena’s hands formed into fists.

For Katie, Nathaniel was only a cushion. There to catch her in case she might bruise herself.

Nathaniel was nothing but a fail-safe option for her.

She dared not to dig in too much and assume the things that suddenly bombarded her mind. Selena’s thoughts keep prying her emotions open and she knew she couldn’t let this happen any further.

“And now for my question. I need to know if something is going on between you and Nathaniel. Has he said anything to you? Did he hurt you?”

Hurt was a word that failed to encapsulate the emotions that took Selena in. He had managed to confuse and pull the rug under her feet all the while making her look like a fool.