nine - a ready sacrifice

Start from the beginning

She crumpled her heart, letting despair crush her emotions.

Just as she was about to close her eyes, Katie called her name.

“Selena…” The wolf’s voice was sickly weak.

“Uh…yes?” She hesitated to answer.

“Come closer, I’m not going to bite. I promise.” She chuckles.

Selena nervously replied with her laugh.

“Shouldn’t you be resting?” She clears her throat. “Alpha Stormwind would be upset.”

She shook her head. “Don’t worry about him. He seems to think that I might break at every single step.”

Selena thought hard and weighed her words carefully. Kayla Marie was the wolf that her mate chose and Selena was well aware of that.

“You and Jacob seem very taken with each other…” The wolf spoke out of nowhere, catching Selena off guard.

“Oh, uh, he and I were friends once. Only for a week back years ago at a vacation.”

“Vacation…that vacation? Hmm, well. Let’s not talk about it then.” Katie looked at her. “I was supposed to come along but I was sick for a whole month.”

It was no longer a surprise for her that even Katie knew of what happened years ago. The event was well known and the packs involved seemed to just want to forget everything that occurred.

“Thank you…” She answers.

“So, does that mean you and Nathaniel knew each other as well? He was there with Jacob and their parents.”

Selena’s heart jumped as her eyes widened from shock.

“Y-yes. We talked but it was a quick encounter. Alpha Stormwind was not too inclined with speaking to a twelve-year-old. He was always busy talking to someone on his phone.”

Katie scoffed.

“Eight years ago, when he was in college all he did was call and scream at me. Always worrying about my sickness and all that. You should see him have a breakdown, he’s far more terrifying than what you just saw now. But he means well. The only thing is, he doesn’t know how to show his intentions. I think he’s afraid to hurt his male ego like all men are.”

Selena knew Nathaniel as the cold-blooded Alpha of the North. His title as the Stormwind was well earned too. Like what she saw, under the shower of blood and grime with petals of snow falling from the sky, he swiftly ended the lives of wolves that attacked him.

He kills as fast as the wind moves.

The axes he held flew in the air, impaling those who were unlucky enough to be in its tracks.

With all that she was hearing now, Nathaniel stood under a light that was far too bright from what she knew him from. It only added more fuel to her confusion.

Her quest to find and uncover dirt from him had turned immediately sour.

“Do you uh…get sick easily?”

Truth be told, Selena wasn’t sure if ‘sick’ was the appropriate word to describe what Katie had.

“Just when I’m under a lot of stress or when I’m injured. My wolf is already busy constantly repairing my body, it doesn’t need to worry about other things.” She shrugs.

Jacob did say that Katie was a sick wolf but she wasn’t expecting it to be this grave.

“Constantly?” Selena knitted her brows.