Chapter 25 - Maneo

(Tw!) This chapter contains light mentions of manipulation and animal abuse/death. This is honestly just a very short filler chapter, but I'm not writing too well right now and I'm hoping this will get me out of my writer's block! I hope you guys enjoy!

I'm sorry I didn't post this Monday, I'm still in a pretty bad mental spot right now and I just got quarantined because someone I sat next to has covid. This will either speed up my writing abilities or slow them down, so I'll let y'all know what's happening :P

Maneo - (Latin) continue, last, endure

______________________

Dabi was surprised when he saw Izuku with a small cat. "Master" Had said to not train Izuku today, but didn't explain any further, so Dabi assumed that he was to simply sit with Izuku, though that plan changed when he spotted the cat.

Izuku motioned for Dabi to sit next him before looking back down at the kitten in his lap. "His name is Miso, probably a stray before this." Dabi nodded in understanding, not asking anymore questions. There could only be a few reasons that The League would give Izuku a cat like they did, and based on the absolute uncaring nature of their gifting of Miso, it couldn't be that the cat meant much to The League. Miso was probably going to be used as a gambling card, a piece to force Izuku to do as the League wished, and Dabi knew it would work.

Izuku didn't have a choice. He was too nice to deny the cat, to not form a connection so that The League couldn't use him. If Izuku did that, Miso would most likely be left to rot in front of Izuku, and everyone who's seen Izuku could tell that he wouldn't be able to live with himself if that happened. Then, if Izuku did somehow make it without bonding, he would be forced to see The League's lackeys kill the cat in front of him. Any way that Miso was used, it ended bad for Izuku and Miso. Dabi didn't have any way to object to Izuku bonding with it, and he knew that Izuku probably already went through all of the scenarios in his mind. This was what Izuku wanted, and it would be selfish to take away one of the only true friends Izuku has made, even knowing that he would lose it eventually.

"He's a cute cat." Dabi pat Izuku's head, staring at the opposite wall. He was certain Izuku knew what was going to happen to Miso, but the boy still decided to take care of him. It was something that Dabi could never do himself, but something he applauded in Izuku.

"Don't you have a cat, Dabi?" Izuku was looking at the wall too, a bit of tension in between them, as if Izuku expected Dabi to be mad for choosing the cat knowing that it wouldn't end well.

Dabi turned his head a bit, looking at Izuku with a questioning gaze before he realized what Izuku was talking about. "No. I just said that so you would fight me. I was pretty desperate because of the beating the old man promised me afterwards." Izuku nodded, somewhat disappointed that he couldn't get any cat toys off of Dabi, but understood the lie. He knew that Dabi was heavily reliant on himself, that the man prioritized his well being over any stranger's, so it wasn't a surprise and Izuku couldn't hold it against the man.

Izuku turned to look at Dabi, holding up Miso between them, allowing the cat to swat at Dabi's nose. "Do you think you could get Miso some toys and proper food?" Dabi nodded, barely blinking at the soft paws attacking his face. "Sure."

The rest of Dabi's visit was spent playing with Miso and enjoying the relaxing atmosphere the cat brought. In the end, Dabi left with promises of cat food and toys, both men hoping that The League wouldn't object to it if they happened to see.