Chapter 25 - Better Misunderstood

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ SIM JAEYUN ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

"Why did you call?" I sat in front of Kang Taehyun. He was dressed formally, probably coming from their office which was close to the cafe where he wanted to meet.

To be honest, I was taken aback when I saw an unfamiliar number on my phone. However, knowing that my phone was also an emergency number for the company I answered it.

And now here I am, in front of Kang Taehyun.

He looked awkward but did not hesitate to answer my previous question, "I just wanted to say sorry for whatever happened in the past."

I stared at him seriously, "It wasn't your fault."

He looked down almost looking ashamed, "Still. I want to say sorry." He said.

I looked at him judging what he was doing. I guess Aera did mean it when she said that Taehyun was an amazing person.

He didn't have any fault, the three of us were just caught in a net that destiny threw at us.

"It's fine. We just both fell in love with the same girl." I chuckled and so did he. "And you just happen to keep her while I failed to do so." I continued which made him look up at me.

As he did, it was then my turn to look down, I couldn't look at him knowing that he may be looking at me with pity.

I didn't need that.

After a long period of silence, I spoke again, now saying what my heart actually feels, "Can you please tell me that she's okay now?"

He was taken aback by my question but answered nonetheless, "She is." He smiled.

I shook my head as I remembered, "She got abused by her parents."

He nodded, he knew that very well. "She's strong. She always has been." He assured me.

"She really is." I couldn't help but agree. Aera is strong.

As we fell into another silence, I took that opportunity to bid farewell. I don't blame him for the pain I felt. But it did still hurt knowing that the love of my life chose the man in front of me right now.

"Another thing before you go." He said, "Here, just to clear everything out."

He slid a black and gold envelope my way before looking up at me with a comforting smile.

I looked at the envelope and asked, "What is this?"

"I want to invite you to my wedding, it's the day after tomorrow." My body froze with what he said. "Only if you want to. I know we're not that close."

I looked down at the envelope.

He's inviting his bride's ex? Someone he knew still loved his soon-to-be wife?

"Isn't this a bit too cruel?" I whispered, suddenly feeling as if I had just lost my voice.

"What?" He didn't seem to hear it, but if I repeated it, it would only make me look like a fool.

So instead I said, "Nothing." With a smile on my face. "I'll see if I don't have any schedule by that day."

"Thanks, man." He tapped my shoulder, "It would be great to have you there."

I smiled even though I feel my heart breaking into pieces from his news, "Congratulations."

"Thank you."

After saying my regards, I quickly went back to the dorms. The guys were in front of the television just watching a movie.

Sunghoon was the first to notice that I was back. He looked at me and asked. "Jake? Are you alright?"