Chapter 18 - Enough

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ SIM JAEYUN ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

I looked down at the message the investigator sent me. As I inspected the house in front of me.

This should be the right house.

I took a deep breath before stepping forward and knocking on the door. An overwhelming pain still sitting in my heart as I remembered why I am here.

Hoping that I was wrong, I waited for the door to open.

As soon as it did, I almost cried in pain. Aera opened the door with a smile on her face but as she saw me standing and waiting in front of her, that smile faltered.

Keeping my composure and trying not to cry, "Aera."

"What are you doing here?" Coldness in her voice was evident which only broke my heart even more. If that was even possible.

Before I could speak, a voice came from the inside of the house, "Who is it, princess?"

Taehyun emerged from Aera's back and I bit the inside of my cheek to stop myself from crying.

I'm so weak when it comes to you, Aera.

I maintained my composure and spoke, "So, they were right, you came to him."

Aera looked at Taehyun behind her. For a second, she looked confused but she quickly collected herself and asked, "How did you find me?"

I couldn't speak. I don't know how to answer her without tears flowing from my eyes. She became impatient with my lack of response so she continued.

"Jake, leave me alone, please. Let me live my life—"

"With him?" I snapped looking at Taehyun with envy.

She was taken aback by my tone but she answered nonetheless, "That doesn't concern you."

I could feel my heart aching. My throat constricted and I choked out a response, "Really?"

I could see how her eyes looked cold and distant, so different from the eyes that made me feel warm and made butterflies flutter in my stomach. But I can see a glimmer of the eyes I love behind those dark ones.

"Jake just leave and please if you really do love me then don't even try to snitch on—"

"I don't have to." I sighed remembering why I was here.

"What?" Panic was noticeable in her and Taehyun's stance. They looked at each other before turning back to me, "What do you mean?" She asked.

"They know you're here, Aera. You have to come with me." I held her wrist in hurry. I was informed that they were coming today and I couldn't risk them getting here and finding Aera.

She didn't want to come home, so I'd do everything I could to help her.

Even if it pains me to do so.

She flinched when I held her wrist and that only made me feel discouraged, does she hate me that much?

I felt another hand on my wrist. I looked up and saw Taehyun who's looking right at me, "Why does she have to come with you?" He eyed me with suspicion. "How can I be sure that you won't bring her back to her parents?"

I sighed as I saw Aera look at Taehyun with concern.

She used to look at me like that.

"Look, I know you might be mad at me, but I'm not trying to get in between you two." I shifted my gaze between the two of them, "I just want to help you guys."