Chapter 19 - Masks Off

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ CHOI AERA ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

After that night, Jake went home. I also didn't see any of the guys inside the dorm which made me feel relieved, at least I didn't have to feel guilty or awkward at all.

I was staring at nowhere in particular when I suddenly heard the door open. Jake came in with 3 paper bags in hand struggling to close the door behind him.

He went straight to the kitchen and placed the bags on the counter before removing his coat and placing it on the rack.

"I got us groceries." His voice was quiet, if there weren't complete silence in the room, I doubt I would have even heard him.

I slowly walked towards him, "Where are the other guys?"

"Do you hate me that much?" He laughed bitterly. I looked at him confused as to what he was about. "You can't even stay in the same place alone with me?"

I quickly became defensive "That's not—"

"It's our week break, just before we start practicing again." He cut me off while he tried to sort the groceries out to where it's supposed to be stored. "The guys went back to their families."

"Isn't mom looking for you?" I looked at him as I grabbed the other bag and helped him out.

He looked at me shocked. I almost slapped my hand to my mouth as I realized why.

I just called his mother 'mom'.

"I'm sorry." I bowed my head in embarrassment.

He shook his head and continued with his task and so did I. "Don't be sorry, I'm sure she'd be happy to hear you say that." He said without looking at me.

"She's fond of you."

Silence took over us after that. I didn't know what to say. I felt sorry, I am sorry. He and his family have only treated me as their own and I am here worrying them and hurting their son.

"And no, she isn't. They're all too preoccupied with looking for you." He answered my question once he finished with his task.

I looked at him. His eyes carried so much sorrow and pain, I couldn't help but apologize, "I'm really sorry, Jake."

"I just don't get it, Aera." He rushed and looked at me as he harshly threw the bags in the garbage.

I looked at him, I don't think I could ever hurt the man in front of me right now but look at me.

"You didn't have to pretend to love me. I would have done something if you were really set on opposing the marriage." His eyes started tearing up.

I looked down at my feet and whispered the only words that I could think of right now, "I'm sorry."

"I would have courted you the normal way, then. Maybe I would have had a chance." He chuckled. I looked up at him and saw him wipe his tears with the back of his hand.

"Jake..."

He looked back at me and laughed at my reaction, "Please, don't look at me like that. You're making me pity myself."

I didn't answer. I didn't know what to say. I wanted to run towards him and hug him. Tell him everything, tell him I love him.

But I know that if I did. He'd be in so much trouble. I also know that if he did know about it, he'd probably hate me and my family. He'd probably think I'm just like them.

We stayed there for a while just staring straight at each other. I looked at his face trying to memorize every single one of his features, trying to distract myself from crying. Our gaze both was taken apart when my phone rang.