Chapter 23 - School Prom V.S. Laser Quest

Becky could hear Ted shouting directions at Paul, but her mind wasn't taking in any of it. In her head she was formulating a plan of what to do when she found Lisa. Should she sneak in and attempt to take Lisa out, or try to reason with her?

Paul cautiously pulled into the station car park. One other car was there. "I've seen that car at the court," he whispered. "I'm sure of it."

"I should go in alone," Becky whispered. "Lisa'll be more likely to panic if she sees a police officer."

Paul shook his head. "No way! She's armed!"

"Armed and blinded by Amelia Murphy's words," Becky nodded. "I happen to know a lot about the latter."

Paul hesitated, then nodded. "All right. But I want to hear everything that goes on in there."

Becky gingerly stepped out of the car and started towards the ticket office. Glancing inside, she saw Hannah sitting on one of the chairs, looking as if she didn't have a care in the world. As footsteps approached, Becky hastily ducked down.

As Lisa and Hannah's muffled voices came through, Becky crept round the building until she was right at the door. Braving a glance, she saw Lisa binding Hannah's wrists, her back to Becky.

"You never had any real friends," Lisa was saying. "Even in high school when you had this big friend group, nobody really cared about you."

Becky scowled, but kept her cool. Lisa was just trying to crudely establish dominance over Hannah.

"You were just a bunch of sad, lonely losers who spent their free time with anyone sad and lonely enough to talk to them," continued Lisa. Well, you would know, thought Becky, fists clenched.

"Who's actually going to care enough to come and risk their life for you?"

Becky couldn't stand to listen to Lisa Kleinman mock her friend for another second. "First sign of madness, talking to yourself," she said as she stepped into view.

Lisa spun to face her. "This is a mistake."

Becky shook her head. "You're making the mistake. Step away from my friend."

Lisa grabbed Hannah and shoved the knife against her throat. "Walk away or she dies."

Becky's heart beat faster, her confidence waning. If she messed up, Hannah could die and she would never forgive herself.

"I'm not here to hurt you," she said, raising her hands. "I just want to talk."

Lisa kept an arm wrapped around Hannah, but she reached down and picked up the remaining rope. "Then you won't mind if I use this."

Becky glanced towards her pocket, where she knew Paul was on the other end of a phone call. "All right," she nodded. "You're the boss."

Lisa made a cut in the middle of the rope and threw half in front of Becky. "You're smart enough to tie your own ankles, I'm sure."

Becky picked up the rope and sat down. She wrapped the rope around her ankles a few times then fastened it in a double knot.

Lisa let go of Hannah and moved straight to Becky. "Sit down or I kill her."

Hannah rolled her eyes and sat, watching as Lisa used the remaining rope to tie Becky's wrists together, then felt the ropes at her ankles. Satisfied that they were tight enough, she nodded and returned to holding the knife at Hannah's throat. "Go on."

"I know how you feel about Amelia Murphy," she said. "And I promise you it won't end well."

Lisa rolled her eyes. "Because you were her closest friend once? She told me everything. She told me I'm different. I'm special. She'll never let me down."

Becky shook her head. "She told me the exact same thing. And I believed it. Trust me when I say I've been through exactly what you're going through. Only I was fourteen, so there wasn't any crime involved."

Lisa shifted uneasily. "What did she say?"

Becky shrugged. "That I was like a sister to her, that she had my back, that sort of thing. But it was all just words. I lived in her shadow because I was devoted to her. I didn't reach my full potential because Amelia couldn't be beaten by the likes of me. And I've always regretted not aiming higher until then. You're a good lawyer, Lisa. But you can't save Amelia without risking going to jail yourself."

"I'll do it if it means she walks," Lisa hissed, steadying her balance with Hannah in one hand and the knife in the other. "Hannah here will die, Paul Houston will go to prison, and now I've got you. Ready for Amelia to come and finish off."

"She's taking you for granted," Becky pleaded. "She takes everyone for granted. When we went our separate ways she assumed Paul would continue being friends with her and not me. She assumed that she could walk into a room and everybody would want to talk to her. She assumed that Frank Coulson and Michael Arnott wouldn't accept police deals in return for information on her. She assumed that Anthony would take all the blame for her crimes. She assumed that Lisa Beck would throw away her career for her. Now she's assumed that you'll commit murder for her. Are you going to be the person she thinks you'll be?"

Lisa hesitated. "If you come back with me now, I can persuade the police to reduce charges," Becky continued. "They'll assign another attorney to Amelia Murphy's case, chances are she'll go to prison. But if you kill Hannah you're a murderer. Paul Houston will come running in to arrest you and it'll only make things worse for Amelia."

Lisa looked down at her shoes, then back at Becky. "If I abandon her Amelia Murphy will come for me."

"I'm sure the police will do everything they can to keep you safe," Becky said calmly. "Cut me loose and step away from my friend."

Lisa held onto the knife tighter. "I want to talk to a police officer," she cried, her hands trembling.

Becky glanced outside. "There's no shortage. Put the knife down and step away from Hannah."

Paul ran in, holding out a hand to halt the others. He aimed his gun at the sky. "I'm putting my gun down," he said. "I want you to put the knife down with me."

As he lowered his gun, Lisa sighed and dropped the knife. "All right," she said, "All right."

She let go of Hannah, who walked to Becky's side. Paul pulled a set of handcuffs out. "Lisa Kleinman, I'm arresting you for the kidnapping of Hannah Perkins. You do not have to say anything, though it may harm your defence if you do not mention something which you will later rely on in court. Anything you do say can be used in evidence."

Paul escorted Lisa outside to where the other four officers were waiting. Becky and Hannah were untied, then followed and were immediately ambushed with a hug from Charlotte. "Don't scare me like that," she whispered. "I thought I was going to lose you again."

Hannah smiled. "You won't get rid of me that easily."

Lisa scowled and averted her gaze. "DI Drake, you can accompany me back to the station with Miss Kleinman," said Paul. "Greg, Erica, you two lead the way. Charlotte, you follow with Becky and Hannah."

Erica gasped. "Oh my god," she croaked. "Oh my god. You're Rebecca Hidgens and Hannah Perkins. I'm Sergeant Erica Miller."

Becky smiled and glanced at Charlotte, who mouthed the word fangirl. She couldn't help grinning as she followed the party of eight to the three cars parked outside and climbed into the back of Charlotte's. It was nice to be known. And this time it was for the right reasons.