Chapter 5 - Courtney Beckett

Hannah opened the door, taking in her surroundings. The first thing she noticed was a bell which rang every time the door opened. The next was the woman at the counter, who she knew to be Joanne Goldstein, proud owner of Joanne's Coffee and Cake Stop. The plump, grey-haired woman was not the sort you expected to be involved in the largest crime organisation in the country, but since when was the Godfather predictable?

She felt ridiculous as she walked up to the counter with the guitar strapped over her back. It wasn't as if Joanne was going to go "give us a tune!" - or at least Hannah hoped she wouldn't. While she was posing as a failed musician, her only guitar lessons had been from Becky, her only singing lessons had been from Becky, who while being an amazing pianist and violinist, only knew a few guitar chords and couldn't sing, and her "songs" were actually compositions taken from the archives of A Level exams. The only benefit from her performing in the cafe was that Joanne would be more likely to take interest in Courtney Beckett.

"First time here, love?" asked Joanne. Hannah nodded.

"Just moved down from Glasgow," she said. "An old friend of mine was always raving about this place - says I've got to try the hot chocolate here."

"You're welcome to try my hot chocolate," said Joanne, smiling. "But it is rather warm today. Maybe something cold?"

"Fair point," said Hannah. "Could I just have a water please?"

"Of course you can," Joanne replied, still smiling widely. "Can I tempt you with a cake?"

None of the cakes looked at all pleasant, but it would be far too suspicious if Hannah only bought a water after she had heard such amazing things about the cafe. "All right then. I'll have a slice of that Victoria Sponge."

"Thank you very much," she said once Joanne had handed her a tray with the water and cake on it.

"You're very welcome," said Joanne. "You're a very polite young lady. Hopefully I'll see you here again?"

Hannah nodded. "I take it you're Joanne?"

Joanne nodded. "The one and only. What's your name, darling?"

Joanne's kind old lady act made Hannah want to throw up. Nevertheless, she forced herself to meet her eyes and say. "I'm Courtney. Courtney Beckett."

"Well Courtney," continued Joanne, "you're always welcome here. I'm sure you'll get to know my other regulars very quickly. That's the thing about small businesses. You can always count on having a familiar face."