Chapter 4 - The Costa Crew

"All right Paul," said Charlotte, "you can't avoid this any longer. Tell me what's up."

They hadn't gone to Costa after all. The news that she might not be able to see her kids for a while had forced Charlotte to go home and spend as much time with them as possible. Paul had accompanied her but Ted had decided to go home and see Bruce.

"I'll keep it short," said Paul. "I want to catch the Godfather."

Charlotte nodded patiently. "I think everyone's realised that Paul. There's no morning chit-chat any more, it's just straight to business. You call everyone by their rank and surname, even Ted and I. I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, it's just not like you. You're letting this case consume your life."

"Don't speak too soon," said Paul darkly. "We're working with people who sign their lives away for their career. They couldn't even do this sort of thing."

When Charlotte said nothing, he sighed. "I think the Godfather had Becky and Hannah killed."

Charlotte gasped. "Are you sure?" She lowered her voice. "Who'd want to kill Becky and Hannah?"

"I know they're dead," said Paul stubbornly. "Becky always answers her phone and Hannah wouldn't abandon the friend group without explaining. Hell, they wouldn't abandon the friend group. The Costa Crew meant everything to them."

"Even if you're right," said Charlotte calmly, "acting like this won't bring them back, and they wouldn't want you to lose yourself or lose sight of what's important."

At that moment, Matthew Monroe, aged 6, came running into the kitchen. "Uncle Paul!" he yelled, wrapping his arms around Paul. "Linda! Uncle Paul's here!"

Linda Monroe, Matthew's 12 year old sister walked in with a slightly more dignified demeanour. She hugged her mother and Paul (once Matthew finally let go). 

"Is Uncle Paul staying for dinner mummy?" asked Matthew as he settled in Paul's lap.

"He's very welcome to," said Charlotte, smiling across the table at Paul. "How about it Paul? Fancy a pizza?"

"Yay! Pizza!" cried Matthew. Paul grinned.

"Pizza sounds great," he said.

***

Paul, Charlotte and Ted were all looking their best as they walked into One Police Plaza. Charlotte was in her full uniform and her hair in a neat ponytail. Paul and Ted were in full three piece suit and tie which had been carefully ironed, and their hair well brushed.

Paul led the way into DCC Fleming's office. The three of them stood in a line, backs straight, like soldiers awaiting command. 

"Ma'am, may I present my detective of choice, Detective Constable Edward Green," he said.

Fleming stood and shook hands with them all. "Before I can tell you anything, I need to swear you to secrecy," she said. "DC Green first. Repeat after me…"

Once they had all repeated the oath, Fleming then picked up her intercom. "You can come in now," she said.

A few seconds later the door opened and a man in his early fifties strode in purposefully. Behind him…

"Becky," breathed Paul, forgetting himself for a moment.

"What was that, DCI Houston?" asked Fleming curiously.

Paul straightened up. "Nothing, ma'am. Sorry."

The man glanced at him, before turning his attention to Fleming. "Kate, I'd like you to meet my Cyber Security Agent, Rebecca Hidgens. Rebecca, Deputy Chief Constable Kate Fleming."