Chapter 3 - Operation Godfather

When lunch was over, Becky and Hannah went back to the lift together. Few words were exchanged, as ever in the lift, although a few acknowledged them with "Agent Hidgens", and "Agent Perkins". Becky pressed the button for the top floor. The others in the lift with them exchanged curious glances. What could the Chairman want with a Cyber Security Agent? Becky was wondering that herself.

As the lift climbed higher it also emptied. Eventually Becky, heading for the top floor, and Hannah, who hadn't pressed a button, were the only two left.

"Where you headed?" asked Becky.

"Floor 30," said Hannah casually. "What? I told you I had to go back for a mission briefing. Looks like you're the third agent."

Becky's curiosity was at its highest. Hannah was going undercover in the Mafia, and Becky was on a mission with her. She also couldn't help feeling excited. This could be the big break in her career, which was all that mattered in MI5. Career and country.

"You've to go straight in," said Goodman's secretary as soon as the lift doors opened.

Becky led the way into John Goodman's office. "Good to see you, Agent Hidgens," he said. "Welcome back, Agent Perkins. I'd introduce you two, but from what I hear you two are already firm friends."

They both nodded, neither of them voicing their true thoughts - that they were the closest thing to family either of them had. "Take a seat and read through this, please," said Goodman, handing them both a thin file.

MISSION BRIEFING FOR OPERATION GODFATHER - INFILTRATION
NOT TO BE REMOVED FROM THE OFFICE OF JOHN GOODMAN. DO NOT PHOTOCOPY OR MAKE NOTES.

THE MAFIA
The Mafia is the name given to the largest crime organisation in Great Britain. Its real name is unknown so Agents and Police Officers working on Operation Godfather refer to it as the Mafia.

THE GODFATHER
The Godfather is the head of the Mafia. Their identity is completely unknown, due to the precautions they have taken to ensure the authorities cannot trace them. People who need a crime committed all go to the Godfather. If they need someone killed, the Godfather will make that person disappear. If they are a drug addict, the Godfather has links to a supplier.

DCI PAUL HOUSTON
Detective Chief Inspector Paul Houston of the Metropolitan Police leads the detective squad who arrested murderer Frank Coulson. Coulson was caught fleeing the crime scene and agreed to cooperate with police enquiries if he was granted witness protection. He confessed to being an assassin, contracted by Anna Granger (a suspected alias) to commit this murder. He also said that Granger talked about her bosses, and neither Coulson nor Granger have any idea how many levels of hierarchy there are in the Mafia.

"Whoever these guys are, they're seriously paranoid. I don't know how many people Granger hires out. She doesn't know how many people there are like her. Neither of us know the boss' name." -Frank Coulson

MI5 and the Metropolitan Police hope to be able to work together and follow the lead on Coulson to uncover the identity of the Godfather, along with sending an undercover operative into the Mafia.

OPERATION GODFATHER
The Operation will be led by a team of three MI5 agents and three Police Officers.

The Agents
John Goodman
Rebecca Hidgens
Hannah Perkins

The Officers
DCI Paul Houston
PS Charlotte Monroe
Third Detective TBC

Agent Perkins will assume the identity of Courtney Beckett, a singer songwriter who failed to make their big break and is now desperate for money. As Coulson was set up with the Mafia through a coffee shop owner who saw his criminal record and made a call to her superiors, Perkins will go to that coffee shop to seek a job. The owner should see that Courtney Beckett's record is the sort of thing the Mafia could manipulate and set her up as a messenger. Perkins should strive to rise through the ranks, plant bugs in the necessary places and eventually meet the Godfather. She will communicate only with Agents Goodman and Hidgens and remain anonymous to the officers involved.