Chapter 17 - Hello Old Friend

It had been a proud moment for Becky and Hannah as they stood up on that stage, with almost every agent in MI5 applauding them while Goodman presented each of them with an ornate plaque which read "FOR SERVICES TO KING AND COUNTRY".

"This is a very important day for these two agents," Goodman had said, "because they are in fact leaving MI5 now. So today we not only commend the exceptional work done by both of them in bringing down the Godfather, but we also celebrate them as people and their time with us altogether."

"Agent Hidgens, I am sure Team Leader Lopez will agree with me when I say you are the most hardworking person I have ever had the pleasure to encounter. Your determination to never give up in the face of a challenge has shone through countless times, and given the circumstances you were faced with on our recent mission I doubt there are many others who could have pushed forward and done their job the way you did. Should you choose to return to MI5 you will be welcomed back with open arms, but as things are we are incredibly grateful for your service."

"Agent Perkins, choosing to send an agent who had only been with us for two years on the most dangerous mission we have been tasked with for a long time was a risk. I was convinced that you could handle it, or I would not have sent you, but I don't think anybody was expecting you to make the breakthroughs you did and in such a short space of time. While you will always be welcome for reunions of former agents, due to your decision to testify in court regretfully you cannot work on another undercover operation. However I am sure I am not alone when I say that your selflessness will not be forgotten and your bravery and hard work is to be commended."

"I hope everybody will join me in congratulating Agent Rebecca Hidgens and Agent Hannah Perkins and in wishing them all the best for their future," said Goodman, choking slightly. As everybody clapped he turned and saluted them. Becky and Hannah stood to attention and saluted back.

However it was the Saturday night a few weeks later that Becky looked forward to most. As a civilian she would be attending a police ceremony where Paul, Charlotte, and Ted, who was to be admitted out of hospital mere hours before, would be presented with Medals of Valour. And she wasn't the only Hidgens attending.

As she walked in, a tall thin man, with short brown hair and blue eyes which were almost identical to Becky's, turned and briskly walked over to her. Curt Hidgens wrapped his arms around her in an ironing board hug for several minutes.

"Where on earth have you been for the last two years?" he whispered, having eventually released her.

Becky smiled. "Working in a bank."

Curt grinned knowingly. "Anything else I should know about? Perhaps involving the trial of the year, a certain Amelia Murphy?"

"Not forgetting Anthony Andrews," added Becky. "It's a long story and this is Paul's big night. How're mum and dad?"

"Worried about you. They do still watch the news," said Curt.

Becky raised an eyebrow. "There was nothing about me in the news. They saw Amelia Murphy and assumed the worst, didn't they?"

Curt nodded. "You know what they're like."

Becky sighed. "Some would say paranoid, but we know better. What about the fact that I disappeared for two years?"

Curt laughed. "Well, you never shut up about working for MI5 when you were a kid, so when no body was ever recovered, they guessed that you'd followed your dream."

Becky didn't say anything, just nodded. "So where are you living these days?" asked Curt. "When Paul called he said you'd moved out."

"Paul's letting me stay with him for a while until I can work something out. Charlotte offered to take me in, but she doesn't need another immature child to look after."