Chapter 22 - Ticking Clock

"John Goodman."

John turned, startled, to the source of the voice. It was a slightly plump woman, with shoulder length brown hair, dressed in classic courtroom attire. John had worked with her on several occasions, but after hearing the recording device on Rebecca he felt as though he hardly knew her.

Lisa Beck smiled at him. "You look like you've seen a ghost," she said. "I needn't ask what brings you here. The Amelia Murphy case."

John nodded. "Of course. And you?"

Lisa shrugged. "Open and shut case. It's funny, I was almost assigned to Amelia Murphy's case."

John averted his gaze. "Any idea why you weren't?"

Lisa stopped walking. "I know exactly why, and I don't blame you. I wouldn't feel comfortable acting against Amelia Murphy, especially when she tried to kill Rebecca Hidgens, and with Lisa Kleinman defending her. The evidence against Amelia's solid. If I threw the trial I wouldn't be doing my job. If I did my job I'd be letting down everything my friends and I ever believed in. This way I can just get on with my life."

John frowned. "Good to know, but Amelia sounded confident that you would throw the trial."

Lisa shook her head, but before she could speak John's phone rang. It was Rebecca. "Goodman," he said. "She what? Okay, I'll try. Keep me posted."

He hung up and turned to Lisa. "You wouldn't know where I can access the CCTV footage?"

***

Charlotte headed straight for the car park as soon as her shift was over, eager for news of the trial. All things considered, things were going well for her as an Inspector. She missed working with Paul and Ted, but now she had her own office and a better paycheck, so she wasn't complaining.

As she was about to set off, her phone buzzed.

RAYMOND DRAKE
1 NEW MESSAGE
WE NEED U AT THE STATION. EMERGENCY. HOSTAGE SITUATION, SERGEANTS AND ABOVE. I'LL BRIEF YOU WHEN YOU GET HERE.

Charlotte groaned inwardly. Thankfully Linda and Matthew were both at their various friends' houses, so she didn't have to arrange for someone to look after them.

She drove back to the station at top speed and sprinted for the old briefing room. Ted, Drake, Greg, Samantha and a woman Charlotte took to be her successor were all gathered.

"Inspector Monroe, Sergeant Miller," Drake said without looking at her.

The woman's jaw dropped. "You're Charlotte Monroe!"

Charlotte grinned. "You must be Erica. Paul says you're doing a great job."

Erica blushed. "Paul Houston said that?"

Ted was in a group call with Becky and John Goodman. "Charlotte's here," he said.

"What's going on?" Charlotte asked. "I thought you two were at the trial?"

"Rebecca gave a statement saying that Lisa Kleinman was involved in Murphy's operations," said John. "Lisa in return has captured Agent Perkins and is demanding that DCI Houston say that he framed Murphy in return for her safety."

"Kleinman could go to jail for this," Ted said. "So why is she risking everything for Amelia? Surely it's more than a high school friendship."

Charlotte paused, and then everything fell into place. Why Lisa, who hated sport with a passion, had suddenly joined the basketball team. Why Lisa had left behind her old friends to spend the rest of her life in Amelia's shadow. Why Lisa was trying every trick in the book to keep Amelia Murphy out of jail, even if it meant that Anthony Andrews would still be found guilty and spend years in prison.

"She'd do anything for Amelia," Charlotte whispered.

Drake rolled his eyes. "We can see that. Why?"

Charlotte turned directly towards the phone. "Because she loves her."

Becky's eyes widened as she finally realised what had been staring her in the face for three years of high school. When Becky had been friends with Amelia Murphy, she had been utterly devoted to her, as though she were under a spell. Now the same was happening to Lisa.

"I doubt the feeling is mutual," said Becky. "Lisa'll throw herself off a cliff for Amelia but Amelia won't lift a finger to help Lisa. If we find Lisa we can talk her out of it."

"We've got a trace on Kleinman's phone and yours," said Drake. "DS Green, I want you to monitor the trackers and assist Paul and Rebecca in any way you can. DS Foster, sort out a radio call for anyone matching Kleinman's description. The rest of us will follow in two cars. DS Daniels, you're with me, Inspector Monroe will follow with Sergeant Miller. Paul, what's the plan when we find Kleinman?"

"Becky and I are going in alone first," Paul panted. "We're going to try and negotiate Hannah's release. We don't want to make Lisa feel like she's too strongly outnumbered otherwise she'll kill Hannah on the spot, but I need you four as backup in case things go south."

"We're on our way," said Drake. "DS Green, I need you to give directions. DS Daniels and Sergeant Miller, I want you both to join the call. Sign out some firearms on your way."

Everybody rushed to their duties. Once Erica had joined the call she sprinted to catch up with Charlotte. "Are you okay?" she asked. "It's just, they say Hannah Perkins is a friend of yours."

"Who's they?" asked Charlotte, signing the form for her firearm.

Erica blushed. "DCI Houston and DS Green. They call you guys the Costa Crew - why?"

Charlotte shook her head. "I'd be happy to tell you the story another time, but my best friend is in danger right now. I've heard good things about you, Erica. Don't let me down now."

Erica's face grew redder. "Sorry," she mumbled. "Let's-let's get this Lisa Kleinman."

***

Lisa discreetly pulled up at the disused railway station, glancing around her to ensure she wasn't being followed. Running to the back of her car, she opened the door and hauled Hannah out.

Hannah had dealt with the worst of the scheming criminals in the past, but this was different. Lisa hadn't planned anything, she had simply run out of the courtroom on a whim and grabbed the first nerd she saw. But she had to follow through with it now. Amelia's future depended on it.

Lisa grabbed the knife and held it to Hannah's throat. "Walk," she began, but Hannah cut her off.

"I've done this before," she hissed. "Just point me in the right direction."

Lisa scowled and shoved Hannah forward, into the old ticket office. "Stay here while I find some rope."

Hannah sighed and sat down on one of the chairs. Unnerved by how calm she was, Lisa hurried down to storage. It was a complete mess, since nobody had bothered to tidy it for five years. But she found what she was looking for on the top shelf. Reaching up, she pulled the thick rope off and rushed back upstairs. Hannah hadn't moved.

"Why aren't you trying to run?" asked Lisa, stopping.

Hannah shrugged. "You won't hurt me."

Lisa raised the knife. "Who says I won't? You think you just need to keep me talking until Paul Houston runs in and arrests me, like he did Amelia? Nobody's coming to rescue you."

"What makes you say that?" asked Hannah, holding out her hands.

Lisa smirked as she quickly wound rope around Hannah's wrists. "You never had any real friends. Even in high school when you had this big friend group, nobody really cared about you. You were just a bunch of sad, lonely losers who spent their free time with anyone sad and lonely enough to talk to them. Who's actually going to care enough to come and risk their life for you?"

"First sign of madness, talking to yourself."