ᴄᴀᴍᴘꜰɪʀᴇ →ꜱᴀɪᴋɪ ᴋᴜꜱᴜᴏ

Italics are Kusuo "speaking" aka telepathy.

In which the reader and friends are on a camping trip, but they convince themself that their feelings will not be reciprocated.

-----------------------------------------------------

You and your friend group had decided that going camping together would be a great idea this summer. That's how you, 3 girls (being Teruhashi, Yumehara, and Mikoto) and 4 boys (being Nendou, Kaidou, Saiki, and Kuboyasu) ended up here, sitting around this campfire. Generally, you'd been having a wonderful time. All of you were somewhere that was free from regular day to day responsibilities and overbearing adult figures. It was rather nice, except for one small thing.

Saiki Kusuo. One of your closest friends and incidentally also your crush. There had been many times you'd considered telling Saiki about how you felt but stopping yourself every time out of pure respect for his clear boundaries. Over the past couple of weeks, you started to realize maybe you weren't as close as you thought you were. You had begun to convince yourself you were nothing more than a bother for Saiki and had contemplated distancing yourself from him. Would it be better for him? Would it make him happy for you to give him the space you felt he desired so badly?

Ultimately, you decided it would be better to leave him alone. The very last thing you wanted was to cause any further trouble for Saiki and you knew that more than anything he didn't want to draw attention to himself. It wouldn't be easy, considering how close you thought you had become but you knew you'd be able to manage. You had all your other wonderful friends with you and this may be a great chance to get even closer with some of them. What's a better way to bond than being stuck in the wilderness for a week?

You had been zoned out for a while now and were surprised to see Teruhashi's hand waving in front of your face.

"Y/N? Are you alright?" Teruhashi asked you, a rather clear worried expression on her face.

"Yeah! I'm fine." You managed to get out unphased. Thankfully, the worried expression was wiped off of her face and was replaced with a gorgeous, glowing smile.

"I'm glad, Y/N! Anyways, we were talking about heading back to our tents for the night, but some of the boys are staying out. Are you coming?"

Thinking for a moment about her question, you glanced over at where Saiki was sitting, trying to deduce if he'd be heading in for the night too. Seeing that he was getting ready to pack up, you decided you were in the clear to stay out longer.

"I think I'll be staying out a little longer. I'd like to chat!" You said eagerly in reply.

"Alright, Y/N. Just don't stay out too late, okay? Good night!"

"Goodnight, Teruhashi!"

Moving your gaze towards whoever had chosen to stay outside, you see only Kuboyasu and Kaidou. They would be fun to talk to. The three of you talked about nothing and everything until the sun had fully set and countless stars painted the deep night sky. You decided to ask about Saiki. They were rather close to him, and you trusted them enough not to tattle.

"I have a weird question. It's about Saiki." You tested the waters with that. If they didn't react too well, you'd just ask something unimportant like his favourite sweets, or manga series.

"What's up Y/N?" Kuboyasu was quick to reply, obviously curious as to what you wanted to know. Kaidou also tilted his head out of curiosity.

"Well... do you know if Saiki likes anyone?"

Kaidou was even faster to jump in.

"I can't say for sure, as he doesn't express... much emotion. I'm not sure."