Claustrophobia

Set during RTTE

Sorry, it's not great. I really need some ideas!!! 💛

***

It was another sunny day on dragons edge.

Fishlegs was watering the plants in his serenity garden. Snotlout and the twins were exhausting their latest supply of Monstrous Nightmare gel. Heather was out for a flight on Windshear. While Astrid and Hiccup were sparring in the arena.

Much to Astrid's irritation, Hiccup was getting a lot stronger. When he was just a scrawny little kid she could tackle him to the ground, no problem. But now, he was definitely giving her a run for her money. And she was definitely not happy about it.

Hiccup had her pinned.

"Okay Hiccup, you can get off now." She rolled her eyes.

"What if I don't want to?" He smirked.

"I'm serious, get off." She wriggled in an attempt to escape. Hiccup received a winding kick to get him off of her.

"Hey! What was that for?!" He shrieked.

"I told you to get off!" Astrid scowled before rushing out of the arena and heading straight for her hut.

They both agreed to forget about that day. That is until...

***

"Snotlout?!" Hiccup scowled as rocks fell from the cavern walls blocking their open exit.

They had been tracking down a new species of dragon, when Snotlout freaked out at a bat, causing Hookfang to close them off in a rather small dead-end of the cave.

"Toothless, wanna give us some light, Bud?" The Night Fury shot into the air, causing the small space to light up in a purple glow. "Okay, we need to get out of here."

"There is no way out, Hiccup." Fishlegs so plainly pointed out. "We're trapped."

Those words.

"Well, we have to do something." Hiccup searched around for anything that could help them escape.

"Hiccup!" He flung himself around at the sound of Heather's voice. "Something's wrong with Astrid." She panicked.

He looked over to see the blonde staring blankly ahead as she back up against the wall, her chest moving impossibly fast to keep up with her speedy breaths.

She slunk against the wall and slid down to the ground as her hand met her chest. Her eyes never once losing focus.

"Astrid?!" Hiccup gasped, racing to her side. "What's the matter? Are you hurt?"

She shook her head vigorously as her arms flew around Hiccup's shoulders. She buried her neck deep into the crook of his neck, sobbing lightly.

"Guys, start trying to blast your way out of here," Hiccup ordered. "Astrid, what the matter?"

No response.

Within a few minutes, the riders finally managed to blast open the mouth of the cave. Astrid immediately hopped onto Stormfly and raced out, returning to the outpost.

***

"Astrid?" Hiccup called as he knocked on her hut door before entering. "You okay?"

"I'm fine, Hiccup." She told him.

"You wanna explain what happened?" He wondered.

"I'd rather not talk about it." She hoped he would leave it alone.

"I know. But if you don't tell me what happened, how am I supposed to help?" He asked. "Astrid?"

"I just... don't like feeling trapped... okay?" She sighed.

"Astrid, we've been trapped hundreds of times." Hiccup thought. "Why the sudden phobia?"

"Hiccup, it's not sudden. I've always hated it." She stated. "I'm usually better at hiding it. I don't know why today was any different." She sighed.

"Astrid, believe it or not, it's okay to be afraid of something. Most people are." Hiccup reassured, enveloping his girlfriend in a hug.

"I guess. It's just... everything we've faced, nothing should scare me like that anymore." She whispered as she rested her head against his chest. He lifted her chin until their eyes met.

"Hey, if you're ever trapped. You know I'll always get you out." He told her.

"Promise?" She pouted adorably. Hiccup cupped her cheek and kissed her softly.

"Promise."

***