Stormless

Thanks to akosiJBDPG for this request.

Hope you enjoy :)

***

In the warm glow of the setting sun, Astrid and Hiccup sat at the edge of the Stables landing strip, gazing out as red and orange painted the horizon, as they had done every night since they started dating.

Hiccup's arm was draped over Astrid's shoulder as hers was snaked around his waist.

"You really do this every night?" Astrid asked curiously. Hiccup nodded, not once looking away from the artistic masterpiece that was the evening sky. "Why? I mean, not that I don't love it. I'm just curious."

"Sunset ends the day. And it's beautiful. Sometimes I need reminding that happy endings existed. It helps me keep going. Keep fighting." He explained.

"Wow," Astrid sighed. "I never thought about it like that before." She admitted.

"It's all about perspective." Hiccup stated before almost being pushed off the edge by his Night Fury. Toothless pouted innocently. "Really, Bud?" He sighed. "You do know it's not a chew toy, right?" He reminded as he removed his prosthetic leg and tossed it to the land below. Toothless and Stormfly raced for it.

The young couple chuckled as their dragons scrambled to reach it. Of course, Stormfly had the flight advantage.

"Nice to see them getting along." Hiccup smiled.

"Especially when you think about the trouble Heather and Fishlegs had with Meatlug and Windshear when they started dating," Astrid added.

"Yeah, if anything our dragons seem closer than they were before we got together."

***

The sun had set and the moon was high in the sky, the riders were all sleeping soundly. This wasn't the case for the dragons

"Hiccup?" Astrid shook her boyfriend in an attempt to wake him.

"Mmm." He groaned. "Toothless, no. It's too early."

"Toothless?!" She scowled. Her fist collided with his arm. "Hiccup, get up!" Now he was awake.

"Ah! What?! What is it?" He rubbed his eyes sleepily.

"You've got to see this!" She grabbed his hand and tugged him to the window to see Stormfly heading off into the forest.

"Where is she going?" Hiccup wondered.

"I have no idea. But it looks like Toothless is in on it too." She pointed to the empty rock by Hiccup's bed.

"Well, don't just stand there. Let's go see what they're up to." Hiccup suggested.

***

The young couple followed the Nadder silently until they reached an opening where Toothless was sat patiently waiting. The young couple kept a safe distance, taking cover behind a large tree.

The dragons circled each other for a moment before Toothless lowered his head. Stormfly let out a squawk before her tail bashed the Night Fury on the head. Toothless shook his head to bring the forest back into focus before feeling a gentle lick on his snout.

"Astrid, does this seem a little familiar to you?" Hiccup whispered.

"Too familiar." She responded.

They followed closely as their dragons headed towards the beach. Luckily the dragons were walking, as Toothless couldn't fly without Hiccup. When they reached the beach, Stormfly shot a few spines into the sand, which Toothless lit up. She shot another spine, which Toothless picked up in his mouth. He started drawing in the sand.

Hiccup and Astrid watched intently as the slightly disfigured shape of Stormfly came into view.

"They're copying us." Hiccup realized. "Toothless is drawing Stormfly like I drew you when we came to the beach."

"Hiccup, I think there's a little more going on here." Astrid gestured for him to keep watching. He turned back to the scene where Stormfly was nuzzling into the crook of the Night Fury's neck.

"Are they on a date?!"

Astrid rolled her eyes and chuckled at how oblivious Hiccup was to the situation.

"Hiccup, how much more obvious can it be?" She responded. "You said yourself that a dragon's behavior is a reflection of its rider. Look at them. They're us. What more proof do you need?"

"What do we do now?" He wondered. "I really don't want to have the talk with a dragon."

Astrid had to fight back her laughter.

"Hiccup, you don't need to have 'the talk' with Toothless. As long as you behave, he will too." She explained.

"So what do we do now?"

"If I'm right, and they really are copying us, then Toothless will walk Stormfly back to my hut before going back to yours. So, we go back and wait."

And they did exactly that.

***

It was an hour before the dragons finally returned, and as Astrid predicted, Toothless was a perfect gentleman and walked Stormfly home.

The Nadder froze as she noticed her rider sitting on her bed, waiting for her. Toothless turned to leave but soon halted when Stormfly's tail whacked him on the head once again. His face dropped when he noticed his rider, falling asleep on Astrid's shoulder.

"So, how was the date?" Astrid folded her arms and wriggled her eyebrows. The dragons looked towards each other. Astrid was certain that they would be blushing if they could. The dragons darted out of the hut and kept on running until they reached the stables.

Hiccup and Astrid laughed mercilessly. Hiccup desperately fought back a yawn.

"Okay, Dragon Master." Astrid rolled her eyes at her sleepy boyfriend, shoving her down onto the bed. "You can go back to sleep now."

Astrid noticed Hiccup was deep in thought.

"What you thinking about?" She smirked, knowingly.

"Wha- nothing!" He fibbed.

"You're wondering what they're up to. Aren't you?"

Hiccup's arm snaked around her waist and tugged her on top of him. Their lips touching, only slightly.

"We don't have to behave when the dragons aren't around, right?" He smirked. The warmth of his breath on her lips only reminded her that he was too far away. She grasped his shirt and crashed their lips together.

***