𝑔𝓁𝒶𝓈𝓈𝓎 𝑒𝓎𝑒𝓈

Start from the beginning

And unsurprisingly, Yelena is smiling like a psychopath.

"Enjoying yourself?" Jo says mildly, scanning for approaching enemy soldiers.

For now, the Jaegerists and the remaining half of the Survey Corps are working together. Only for the sake of helping Eren, of course. But that won't stop Jo from making snide comments.

Yelena stands at the edge of the terrace, arms open wide in adoration. "Of course I am! Zeke has taken down their airships. The gate is blocked now. The moment that will change history is near!"

Jo hears footsteps assembling behind her.

She turns and sees Jean, Mikasa, Armin, and Connie, the four of them stunned at the catastrophe taking place.

Jean focuses on the big hairy spec sitting on top of the wall. "Why is Zeke here..." he mutters in disbelief. He looks at Yelena angrily. "Hey! What happened to the Corporal and Hanji?"

"They're dead." Jo answers emptily.

The four stare at her in shock. And also great concern.

"That's... impossible..." Connie can't bring himself to comprehend.

Jo narrows her eyes at Zeke's distant shape. And I can't even kill the one responsible. Cause now I have to help him.

Yelena gives them a disapproving once-over, sensing their resentment as it pervades the air and threatens her gleeful front-row experience.

Armin thinks of something quick. He puts on an animated charade, "I know it's sad, but this is the only way for Zeke and Eren to save the world. We have to join the Jaegerists and help Eren and Zeke come in contact!"

Yelena suddenly appears right behind him. The others recoil at the look on her face: utter insanity.

Armin turns around and pales under the shadow of the tall, unpredictable woman.

Out of nowhere she breaks into a smile, "Please help Eren and Zeke. I believe in you, Armin." Her tone is sweeter than sugar.

What the fuck... Jo thinks. And I thought Hanji was weird...

Then the realization haunts her. Hanji... she's probably dead, too. Along with dad.

A consuming numbness dulls her senses. She almost feels like she's floating.

Before they take off flying into the center of town, Mikasa places a hand on her shoulder, empathizing. Jo hardly registers it.

She enters battle again like she did 4 years ago, that very first time in Trost. Wandering... lost in the harrowing maze that is war. She's back at square one; a lost child with no home.

Its like nothing ever changed.

╳ ╳ ╳

The mission still stands. The mission she was assigned and the sole reason she came back to the Survey Corps: kill Reiner.

Bullets ricochet as enemy soldiers fire at them from across the street.