Chapter 22: "You are the Reason"

Colton's POV:

I carried Bella upstairs and tried to place her on the bed but she wouldn't let go of me. "Princess just let me get changed ok?" "Ok but no shirt," she says sassily, pointing her finger at me. I chuckle. I quickly get changed into some pj pants before climbing into bed and pulling Bella up so she's laying on my chest. "I'm sorry Sweetheart. I shouldn't have yelled at you, I know how much it scares you when I yell." "But why did you get so mad?" I sigh. "I don't know Baby... it's just when I met you I was alone, I had no one. But then I saw you. This beautiful, sweet girl who gave me a lollipop after I hurt her. When I saw you in that alley I just wanted to take you in my arms and hug you, kiss you and protect you. I wanted to take care of you. As cheesy as that sounds. I want to take care of you and take all your worries away, not add mine on. So whenever you offer to pay for something or try to help me pay for school it makes me feel like I can't take care of you."

Instead of saying anything she just kisses me passionately. "I love you so much you know that," she whispers. "I know, I love you more," I replied. "Colton I hate it when you yell at me and I wish you would talk to me more so we can figure it out together. I like helping you with your problems. It makes me happy when I make you feel better. I understand that you want to take care of me but we're in this together; so if you want to go to university then we'll figure it out. If you don't want to then that's your decision and I will support you." I nod and kiss her again. "So are we ok," I ask quietly? "Yeah, we're great," she whispers back. "You know what in all the craziness I forgot to show you my new tattoo." "Oh I totally forgot, let me see," she says excitedly! I laugh at her cuteness and take off the bandage revealing my newest piece of body art. Written on my shoulder in beautiful cursive are the words "You are my only wish come true." My sweetheart's eyes fill with tears and she puts her hand over her mouth. "It's so beautiful Colton, I love it so much," she cries, throwing herself into my arms. I grin, relieved that she loves it since that's how I really feel. "I'm so glad you love it because it's 100% true," I whisper in her ear. She grins and kisses me repeatedly, repeating I love you after each kiss.

"Colton, do you want some help taking off your leg," she asks? "Actually I had something else in mind," I replied. Before she can say anything else I pick her up and throw her over my shoulder. Then I sprint downstairs. "Colton what the- What are you doing?! You don't even have a shirt on! If your leg gives out and you drop me I will kill you!" Her screams are mixed with giggles as she slaps my back with her tiny hands. We walk past the kitchen where Aunt Becky and Jordan are having tea and head for the living room when the old piano sits. I set Bella down on the bench and she glares at me. "I brought you down here because when everything happened with that nurse I had these big plans to sing to you to win you back but you showed up before I could. Not that I'm complaining. So I'm going to sing right now and if you know the words join in ok?" She smiles softly and nods. I start to play and her face lights up. I knew she knew this song. I saw the sheet music in her room. She joins in and we sing together, our voices blending together perfectly.

(AN: Listen to the song at the top!!!)

When we hit the last note we hear some loud applause. We spin around to see Becky and Jordan standing grinning. "You guys sound amazing together. Colton I totally forgot you could sing, that was so beautiful. Oh I bet you need a drink after that! How about some hot cocoa with extra marshmallows?" "Sure that sounds good, do you need some help," Bella offers. "Oh no honey you say here, I'll be right back," she replies, before breezing back into the kitchen. Bella giggles at my aunt's crazy personality. I vaguely remember her this way, before she started drinking. Speaking of which, her husband seems nice but I need to make sure he's a good guy. I may not be close with my aunt but she's the only family I have left and I love her. "Love, can you go upstairs and grab me a sweater," I ask? "Sure, I'll be right back," she says, kissing my cheek before running upstairs.

I turn and look at Jordan before getting straight to the point. "So where did you meet my aunt," I ask bluntly? "I knew this talk was coming," he says sitting down on the couch. "We met in a coffee shop where she was working, she served me." "How long have you been together?" "Almost 2 years." "Do you drink," I ask bluntly? "No I don't. I met your aunt when she was in AA and I know about her past so I gave up drinking for her." "What do you do for a living?" "I'm a lawyer, I didn't want your aunt to work so hard anymore so after we got married she quit her job and she seems happier." "Listen, you seem like a good man. My aunt hasn't always been in my life and I  just got her back. I just want to make sure she's taken care of." "Yeah I understand that, you're a good kid I can tell, and you've got yourself a great girl there. Do you love her?" "Yeah she's amazing, she saved my life." Just then Bella walks back down with my sweater. I have a feeling she stayed up there longer than necessary because we were talking. I slip on my sweater, then I pick Bella up and we sit in a chair together.

Aunt Becky comes back in with the coco and passes out the steaming mugs along with chocolate chip cookies. We sit and drink our coco but suddenly a bolt of pain shoots through my leg making me hiss. "Darling do you want me to get up," Bella asks softly? "No your fine Love. It's just this stupid phantom pain," I reassure her. "Do you want me to take it off?" "No, I should try to get used to it." "Colton what's going on," Becky asked worriedly? Bella turns to me with raised eyebrows. "You didn't tell her anything?" I shake my head and sigh. I turn my attention back to the other people's room and start explaining. "A few months ago I was diagnosed with osteosarcoma, it's a type of bone cancer." Aunt Becky gasps. "They found a tumor in my leg so I had to have my leg amputated up to my thigh. I have a prosthetic now." I pull my pant leg up revealing my fake leg. "Oh Colton I'm so sorry," Becky whispers. "It's fine, I'm ok now. I'm in full remission now. That's actually how I met Bella. She was a nurses assistant at the hospital. "Well that's great. Anyway guys it's late, I think we're going to head to bed," Jordan says before they hug us goodnight and head off to their bedroom.           

Hi Everyone: 

Thank you so much for reading, I hope you enjoyed this chpter! 

Please vote and comment!

Love you all:)

Jessie