Chapter Twenty Three

Quinn Parker

I don't know how long I've been here. In this room.

I've been pacing back and forth what could have been minutes but feels like hours. I felt like such a coward for running away like that but everything has taken me by surprise that my fight or flight response kicked in. Obviously I chose flight.

The hotel we were staying in was only opposite the penthouse we had rented for the party. I'm not sure why but I've run right back into the massive suite on my own. I needed the space and the silence it was providing right now so I could try and calm my emotions. Pacing back and forth in this bedroom is going to do me no good. I know that. I just can't help it right now.

My mind is racing all over the place, in a complete state of shock at Madison's words. I still couldn't believe that she knew that name, that she knew about Charlotte. I have raked my brain, over and over again trying to remember if I had ever mentioned her...even if it was fleeting. The answer was always the same. I couldn't even bring myself to say her name out loud without breaking down let along fleetingly mention her in casual conversation. There was absolutely no way I had done that.

How did she know?

She mentioned Elijah.

That's what's confusing me. Elijah grew up with her and I, of course he knew the pair of us because we were both like little sisters to him. Heck, wherever one of us went the other was usually right beside them. In my state of panic, I'm trying to come up with logical answers as to why she would come up in conversation between them.

Did he talk about me and her? Did he talk about her death? Did he talk about her at all? Was Madison lying?

"I don't know." I mumbled out loud, lifting a hand up to run through my hair. "I don't know." I repeat again in frustration. Tucking it behind my ear, I stopped my pacing for a moment in order to find my phone. Patting the pockets of my mom jeans, I felt the hard object before pulling it out.

"Fuck..." I muttered in annoyance. My eyes were swollen and still brimmed with tears when I tried to look at the phone screen. The light sting from the brightness causing me to hiss. My shaky fingers manically pressed the button for Elijah's name, pressing it and bringing the phone up to my ear.

The ringing was taunting.

It felt like it had rung for ages, like the ringing was growing increasingly slower. All I could hear my own heavy breathing and the sound of my shoes squeaking against the marvel flooring. A combination that could drive any sane person mad.

"Please..." I mumbled in panic. "Pick up! For fuck sake."

Nothing.

"Welcome to the automated messaging service..."

"Fuck." I cursed, gulping back the nerves in my throat.

I could feel myself clawing deeper and deeper into a state of panic that I didn't want to be in. I know I was probably spiralling over something that seemed insignificant but it just hit me...out of nowhere. Totally unprepared and completely blindsided by something as simple as her name.