Seventeen

Time passes by slowly after my interaction with Avery. My brain is muddled with constant thoughts of her. At work, I find myself standing in front of the peonies, just recalling the scent of her perfume. At home, I struggle to focus when Mom tries to talk to me about dinner plans because I'm too busy thinking about Avery's honey-colored eyes. I even extend my daily run by fifteen minutes to make sure I pass by the light gray house with dark shutters – Avery's house.

I typically run after work, when the heat of the day starts to fade into a cool spring night. Two cars take up Avery's driveway and a beat-up SUV with a PRIDE sticker on the back windshield parks on the street. Depending on the day, I'll catch Sawyer coming home from whatever sports practice he was at. He offers me a small wave every time.

On this particular Saturday afternoon, he stands in the middle of the sidewalk, blocking my path. I slow to a walk and remove my earbuds.

"Hey," he says, adjusting his duffle bag on his shoulder.

"Hey," I answer through my heavy breathing.

"You know what you're doing right?"

I tilt my head in confusion. "What?"

"With my sister," he gestures towards the house. "You know what you're getting into right?"

I shake my head. "I don't know what you're talking about."

He gives me a steely look. His eyes are the same color as Avery's but slightly darker. He's easily a foot taller than me but in a non-threatening way. I hold his stare.

"I saw the flower," he says finally.

"So?" I cross my arms over my chest.

He sighs and shakes his head. "Just . . . be careful with her, please. I don't want her to get hurt."

I narrow my eyes at him. "What makes you think I would ever hurt her?"

"You know what," he says and stalks off to the house.

I watch him enter the house. He shoots me another look before closing the front door. My jaw tightens and I replace my earbuds, resuming my run. My legs feel like they're made of lead.

~

I loop around the block twice, the weight of Sawyer's words refusing to lighten my steps. I turn up my music and make a left, turning away from the dark grey house and towards the outer circle of the neighborhood. The houses become smaller and smaller, transforming from colonial-style homes with pristine lawns to quaint cottages with white picket fences. I slow my pace as I approach a yellow house with an overflowing garden.

Rose bushes try to push their way through the fence that marks the perimeter of the lawn. I push through the front gate and scan the garden. Sure enough, I find Mrs. Balotelli kneeling beside a flower bed. The Dachshund, Benny, that lounges in the sun next to her barks and jumps up. Mrs. Balotelli follows his gaze.

"Reese, dear!"

She brushes the dirt from her hands and stands. I remove my earbuds and accept her hug. Her clothes are warm from the sun. "Hi, Jolene,"

"How are you, dear?"

I kneel to pet Benny. He affectionately licks my palm. "I'm good, thanks."

"Enjoying your mini-vacation?"

"Yes, thank you," I answer and stand. "You didn't need to give me a four-day weekend. I like working."

Jolene tuts. "That's the problem, girl! You work too much! You're young, you need to go out and have fun!"