Six

Two hours pass and I'm still in the kitchen. A few people from Sawyer's baseball team come over to say hello but the conversation quickly dies when one of them asks where I've been. Tim and I catch up on what's happened in the past few months – a lot apparently. He informs me that the redhead I saw him with earlier isn't his girlfriend, but one of the many junior girls that follow him around like a flock of sheep. We had started talking about colleges when someone pulled him away to play Beer Pong. I decline the extended invitation, finding more comfort in my kitchen corner.

    I sigh, tilting my cup to study the alcohol mixture. It's empty calories but I decide it's worth it to celebrate my return home.

    "Did you lose something in your drink?"

    I look up, broken from my trance. I didn't realize I wasn't alone. "What?"

    The girl points her chin at my cup. "You were staring pretty hard into your drink."

    "Oh," I turn to set the cup on the island and clear my throat. "I was just thinking."

    She leans against the counter across from me, taking a sip from her cup. She licks her lips and I avert my eyes. "About what?"

    How many calories I've consumed since I've been here.

    How I wish I had eaten that pizza earlier.

    How I want to run home and work out.

    How pretty your eyes are.

    I  clear my throat again. "Nothing interesting." I lie.

    "Hm," she hums, looking down at her drink. "That's a shame. I was hoping you would have something better to talk about other than football or college."

    Say something, you idiot.

    "Yeah, I know what you mean."

    I mentally kick myself.

    The girl looks away, clearly bored with our interaction. Her eyes scan the crowd – probably looking for someone else to talk to.

    "Avery," I blurt.

    Her green eyes slide back to me. "Sorry?"

    "Avery," I try again and place my hand on my chest. "My name is Avery."

    She smiles and I feel my face flush. "I know."

    "Oh," I turn redder.

    "You're Sawyer's older sister." She states and I nod in confirmation. "And, well, we went to high school together. I was a year below you."

    "Oh," I repeat. I study her face to find any familiarity.

    Her eyes hold mine as I study her features. She has deep emerald eyes framed by dark eyelashes. Her eyebrows are perfectly shaped, and she wears no makeup. There's a small scar on the left side of her nose. She's gorgeous but a stranger. Her full lips tug into a slight smile. She licks her lips again and I clear my throat.

    "I'm sorry. I don't recognize you."

    She shrugs one shoulder but I can see the disappointment in her eyes. "That's okay, you don't have to."

    And with that, she walks off, disappearing into the sea of people. I stare at the spot where she just stood, my jaw slack with confusion.

    "What just happened," I say to myself and shake my head.

    The sound of cheering echoes from the backyard. I grab my cup from the counter and walk towards the sliding glass doors, dumping the rest of my drink down the sink as I pass. I toss the empty cup onto the overflowing trashcan and head outside.