Ten

I've officially been free from Second Course Recovery for ten days. This means it's time for my check-in session with Doctor Miller – something I'm not looking forward to at all. Sawyer drops me off at her office on his way to practice.

    "Text me when you're done." He says before pulling away.

    I tilt my head up to observe the building. It's square, four stories, and built of boring concrete. A small plaque next to the revolving doors reads Doctor Millers' name alongside others. The bushes out front are in desperate need of a trim.

    I sigh, shoving my hands in my hoodie pocket, and trudge forward up the few stairs. Cold air rushes over me as I pass through the doors and I shiver against it. I grimace. Doctor's offices are always so damn cold.

    "Hi," I say quietly to the man sitting at the front desk. He's wearing a bright blue button-up shirt with a black bowtie.

    He smiles warmly. "Hello, can I help you?"

    "I'm here for an appointment." I clear my throat. "Avery Parks,"

    He nods once and studies his computer screen. He clicks various things before nodding again. "Okay, you're checked in. Have a seat. We'll call you in momentarily."

    I thank him and find myself in a seat next to the fish tank. The tank is filled with different types of fish, darting back and forth or floating lazily. I watch them intently, the world melting away from me as my mind clouds with the thoughts of Belgian waffles with strawberries and the scent of cinnamon.

~

Doctor Miller's office is cleaner than I anticipated. Her awards shine brightly on her desk and her various degrees and certificates are proudly displayed on the wall behind her. Her bookcases are tidy and organized by size. There isn't a single thing out of place.

    Except for me.

    I stand awkwardly in the middle of the room, unable to decide where to sit: the couch or the chair. Doctor Miller sits behind her desk, her phone trapped between her ear and her shoulder. She holds up her finger.

    "Yes, thank you," she says into the phone. "I have to go, I have a patient here."

    I frown at the word 'patient'.

    Doctor Miller hangs up the phone and smiles warmly at me. "Avery, it's good to see you."

    I return the smile, the emotion not reaching my eyes. Doctor Miller grabs a notepad from a desk drawer and a pen and rises from her chair. She takes the plush beige chair, leaving me to choose the couch. The cushion is stiff and uncomfortable.

    "So," she says once I've stopped fidgeting. "How are you?"

    I fold my hands in my lap, rubbing my left thumb into my right palm in a nervous habit. It's difficult to look her in the eye. "Good,"

    She lifts an eyebrow. "That's it? Really?"

    I shrug.

    She sighs heavily. "Avery, we've known each other for, what, almost 5 years? You should know by now that I can tell when you're lying and that you can trust me."

    I nod, releasing a breath. "I know, I know."

    "Let's try again," she readjusts in her chair. Her coffee-colored eyes hold mine. "How are you?"

    I take a deep breath.

    Just tell the truth. You don't have to tell her everything, but don't lie.