Chapter 8

Adrien

Marinette was zoned out most of the day, but trying hard to concentrate. School went by fast, no excitement. I decided I would see her again after school. Maybe bring her flowers, she was my princess after all. My Princess... I have had fewer and fewer thoughts of ladybug, Marinette now haunts my mind. I wish I had known her better before. I came into my room and dropped my bag beside my desk. I should go see her now. She is back home from the hospital now. I ran downstairs and asked my driver to take me to the flower shop.
Once we arrived, I went inside to look at all the bouquet options. They had every colour of every flower possible. I thought about what her favourite colour could be, maybe blue? Possibly. I grabbed the pale pink roses with the bluebells.
Perfect.
I purchased the flowers and had them wrapped in brown paper. When I climbed in the backseat of the car, I carefully set the flowers down beside me.
"Who are those for?" My driver asked.
"Someone special." I said weakly as I turned a vibrant shade of red.
"Clearly." He said with a winky smile.
When I got back to my room, Plagg flew out of my jacket.
"Why bother with flowers when you could just get her some delicious cheese?"
"Oh Plagg, you wouldn't understand." I said annoyed. "We should get going now anyway, we still have to meet ladybug for patrol... Claws out!"
I carefully carried the bouquet with me as I made my way to Marinette's house. I debated on wether I should just go through the main door, or up to her balcony. I decided to just go through the main door. I knocked lightly, then harder. The door opened and I was met by Sabine's smile.
"Oh Chat Noir! What a lovely surprise! Come in, come in." She said.
"Thank you Ms. Dupain-Cheng." I said as I entered. The house smelled of bread and vanilla.
"Ooh! Those flowers are stunning! Are they for Marinette?" Sabine asked.
"Uhh... yes, yes they are." I stammered suddenly unsure of myself.
"That's so very kind of you Chat Noir, she will love them." She gushed and took them from me to put in a vase.
"You just wait one minute, and I'll bring her downstairs."
I nodded my approval. She hurried up the stairs, and came back down a few minutes later.
"She will be right down. Make yourself at home." Sabine said as she hurried back into the kitchen. I wandered around looking at pictures along the wall. Most were family portraits, and the others were of Marinette. In one photo she looked to be about 5, and she had no front teeth. So adorable.
"Want to go for a walk?" Came Marinette's voice as she came up beside me.
"Sure, want to go to the park?" I asked.
"Sure." Was all she said as she grabbed a sweater.
We walked out the door into the sunshine. She looked tense. "Want to race?" I suggested trying to lighten the mood.
"Your on!" She broke into a run, and I hurried to catch up.
"Cheater!" I shouted as I passed her.
"Your the cheater! You have super powers to pull you along!" She shouted at me as she slowly caught up. I slowed down purposely to give her a chance, and we tied. We collapsed on the grass out of breath. We were both panting like dogs.
I looked up at the clouds, which were always changing shape. I remembered the long ago days when my mom would bring me to the country side, and we would go cloud watching. She taught me this thing, where we would close our eyes, and try to imagine exactly what we wanted, was right in front of us. It was one of my favourite things to do. My mom also told me, that if you believed in something you are already half way there.
"Hey princess? Close your eyes."
"Why?" She asked.
"Just close them. Then imagine that exactly what you want is right in front of you."
She sighed, but then reluctantly closed her eyes and smiled. I was watching her trying to read her thoughts. She opened her eyes and peeked at me.
"Hey! Why aren't your eyes closed?" She asked.
"Because I don't have to imagine."
"What's that supposed to mean?" She said looking like she might cry.
"It means princess, that I don't have to imagine what I want is right in front of me. Because she's already right here beside me." I said even surprising myself a little.
"Chat... This is why I wanted to talk to you. We can't be together chat... it's not safe for either of us. Especially with your secret identity. I barley know who you are." She said teary eyed.
"But princess..." I said but she cut me off by holding up her hand in my face. Then she sat up and looked me in the eye.
"No buts Chat Noir. There just can't be a you and me. It just won't work." She said and tears started streaming down her face. "I have to go now." And she stood up and left me sitting in the grass.