Chapter 17

Jennie POV

After going to the infirmary, we decided to go here in the coffee shop near our facility as a place for Rosie and Lex to talk.

Seated five tables away from theirs, Jisoo slid my ordered drink across our table as Lisa nudged me.

"Can you tell us what happened to you earlier?" Lisa asked.

"Y-yeah," I nodded while tapping the side of the cup and cleared my throat.

"So just in time, after I fired my tranquilizer gun at the vendor earlier, I heard footsteps outside the room.

Then they just barged in, revealing a group of men in black and they were about to come at me but I heard a gunshot from the hallway.

The man who was still at the door was shot dead then the others brought out their guns as well and looked back at the door entry.

Then there, I saw Lex fighting them so I tried to also help him. And things were almost under our control when the last man was going to shoot me but Lex tackled him to the ground which explains why I have a bullet graze here on my leg.

He managed to at least take the man's aim of the gun away from me."

"But why," Lisa frowned. "Why would this happen?"

"Maybe it's from one of our past missions," Jisoo guessed as she stares at her spoon. "They're after us?"

"Here's the thing," I scooted closer to them, leaning across the table. "I saw a glimpse of a tattoo from the back of the neck of the man who was being tackled down by Lex earlier."

"What was it?" Jisoo asked.

"It's just two simple inverted letters of V and N that are merged together," I replied. "And I have a feeling this has something to do with the-"

"VNtech?" Lisa frowned.

"Yes," I nodded at her.

"Well, for sure they're now alerted by our recent missions that something is being plotted against them," Jisoo leaned back to her seat. "If this is true, at least we're really on our next major mission anyway."

"Yeah," I sighed and glanced at the table where Rosie is.

Her back is facing me while I can see Lex just across her.

They were talking like for an hour now and Rosie just suddenly put her hand on her hair and looks like she's frustrated at what Lex is saying to her.

She then abruptly stood up and banged her hands on table making the other people here turned their attention towards them.

"I- I think we should go check on them?" Lisa said while looking at the people disturbed by the sudden sound.

"We really should," I said and got up to go to Rosie.

"Hey," I scowled at Lex but his eyes were also full of worry.

Rosie turned to me and tears are threatening to fall from her eyes.

"Hey Rosie..." I softly said as I put my hand on her shoulder.

"What have you said to her?" I heard Jisoo whispered to Lex.

"I-" Lex was cut off by Rosie.

"Can we go home?"

"Roseanne, I'm sorry," he immediately said. "I shouldn't have bombarded you with that all at the same time. I should have been more careful."

"It's okay" she replied with a tight smile. "I'll just contact you. I need a little time to process and try to remember all the things you've just said."

The three of us just looked at her waiting for an answer on what we should do at the moment.

"I'll explain later, guys," she sighed.

..........

We just got home and decided to go through the evidences gathered so we can report immediately to Teddy, especially that we have to inform him about the possibility that the VNtech are after us.

What surprising is who the recipient of the manufactured VNtech guns is.

"Why would the government receive services from the VNtech company with the production of these highly-advanced weapons?" Lisa asked as she thoroughly reads the photocopy of contract between the government and that nanotech company. "Are we at war or something?"

"Probably for the country's security purposes? Just in case that one day, the border between the North and the South wouldn't be good," Jisoo said. "But why would the CEO of the pharmaceutical company had those weapons too."

"Right," I said while looking at Jisoo across our table. "And remember there are transactions underground. They even thought we were their clients earlier."

"That's the problem. We don't know if the government just needs weapons for security or they could also be running illegal businesses," Rosie said as she crossed her arms. "Our agency is recognized by the government, right?"

"Yeah," I answered.

"We should ask Teddy about this and maybe he can report it and ask them or whatever he decides," she continued. "Because it's either the government is hiding something or there's just an outlier from their activities. Like someone took advantage of the weapon production and uses it behind the government's back."

"Uh Jisoo unnie," Rosie added as she uncrossed her arms and straightened her back. "Can I have the files from the last mission? The footage of experimentation?"

"Yes, of course," Jisoo nodded.

"Why?" Lisa curiously asked.

"I- I'll just look for something."

"Okay, it's there," Jisoo pointed to the mini drawers beside her designated desk. "Inside the third drawer."

"Thanks," Rosie stood up and walked towards Jisoo's desk located at one of the corners of the room.

"Hey, uhm about earlier..." Lisa cleared her throat while looking at Rosie whose back is facing us. "Will you explain it to us now or nah?"

"Right," she sighed and turns to us, looking tired.

"Well, I think we can just rest for now?" I gave them a knowing look. "We can do it tomorrow."

A lot had happened today. From the mission and to me being attacked earlier, making Rosie to feel worried. Then to whatever Lex had said to her that almost made her to cause a scene at the coffee shop.

And remembering how her eyes looked at me earlier, I just wanted to let Rosie have a rest first.

"Alright."

"Okay."

They agreed and nodded instantly except for Rosie.

3...2...1...0

She nodded.

Counting of three seconds does not only apply when she's gonna prank but she also does it whenever she's deciding for something.

I smiled at her and hug her while caressing her back.

"Let me clean your wound before going to bed," Rosie offered and smiled. "Don't want that to get infected. I don't trust that flirty nurse earlier."

"Wow," I scoffed and chuckled at her. "Jealous Rosie? I like it."

"I am not," she denied. "All she did was to look at you and not even at the wound she's cleaning? I even saw how the cotton ball misses your wounded area, gosh."

"Alright alright," I laughed at her. "Whatever you say."

__________
That's all for now 😊

But I just wanna know your thoughts about the three-second thing...👀