Chapter 57: Remember

Start from the beginning

"Darling, what are you saying? You here is already enough for me. Let's just forget the past and create new memories is that fine with you?" He grinned at me as she wiped my tears and I did the same way, like we usually do when we are alone in the kitchen before.

"I love you Carla. Thank you being the best Mom. I would never forget about how kind you are." I said as I hugged her.

"Me too, my dear. I'm glad I have someone like you in my life." She says as she pats my back.

"Carla? Is Eren and Grisha okay?" I suddenly asked which made her smile drop as she proceeded to washing the dishes.

Something really happened back then when I left.

"No, they are not in good terms darling. Things never got the same after I learned about Zeke. But it's not like I hate him or what. I accepted Zeke as my own son and I forgave Grisha for what he did. But unfortunately, Eren couldn't forgive his father for what he did to us." She spoke slowly as I listened trying not to made any sound.

Maybe I could understand Eren more if I listened to her.

"I told him that I wanted Zeke to live here with us and he agreed but he still didn't forgive Grisha. He even went mad and didn't talk to me for weeks because I still forgave him after what he did. He can't accept that he has an older brother from another woman and that his dad cheated on me." Carla's voice sounded to broken as she continued to what she was doing.

I see. Eren really got to hate Grisha. But why? Is it because he was hard on him when he was still studying a medical course? Or is it because Grisha was also against the two of us? I don't know. I don't want to conclude or anything.

"Grisha's father took that as a chance to visit Eren more often even if he had difficulty walking because of this." Carla continued and I balled my fists as soon as I heard grandpa's name.

"What did he do to Eren, Carla? Tell me." I spoke. Is he the reason why he changed?

"Nothing. He didn't do anything at all and Eren was always at his room. He barely went out during those years. I remember Armin and your friends visiting him and he only comes out when he wants to. He kind of hated me too for still being with Grisha and not hating him for having another son." She added.

"But I'm just really glad that she started talking to me again like he used to before. Maybe it was because you came. I never really saw Eren when he chose to live with his grandpa and left us. I was fine with it, as long as I could see my son is happy." She smiled at me.

"But really...After Armin and Annie's wedding. Things became much worse. I didn't know what happened but Eren became so distant than he was before and only talked to his grandfather. He never talked to me nor to Zeke especially to his dad. Not even to Armin and all your friends. And you just disappeared...I never saw you again, until he said he's getting married...to you..." She breathed as she looked at me.

I felt my heart started beating like crazy now Carla is looking at me.

"Mikasa..Did you know what happened to Eren that day? Did you talk with him?" Her words shoot straight to my heart like knives that I have always avoided all this time.

Carla was looking intently at me and I swallowed the lump on my throat. I could feel my body shaking just how she looked at me.

"Mikasa? Are you okay? You look pale are you sick?" She said as she checked my face touching my forehead.

"Mom? What happened?" I heard Eren's voice behind me and I started sweating profusely.

"I-I am fine. I just felt hot I need some air. Excuse me." I smiled at them as I excused myself.