Chapter 19

By sunset543

Hello everyone! I hope you enjoy this chapter as this is actually the last one :( I didn't realise how many words I had gone through in this chapter. And I'd like to say that I don't know a thing about how adoption works nor do I claim to. This will likely not be realistic, so I apologize for it.

Enjoy! :)

Disclaimer: I don't own any of Grey's Anatomy. Not the characters. Not the plot. Not anything. Nor do I own anything to do with the NHL. At all. But it would be pretty cool if I did.

"Hey bud, come and sit over here," Derek beckoned. Aiden plopped himself between the two of them and peered at them.

"We need to tell you something," Meredith started, "again."

"You're not breaking up are you?" He looked at them worriedly. Then at Derek, "You said you'd stay! That you'd never leave!"

He was about to start on a little rant of his own when Derek stopped him.

"Woah, woah. It's nothing like that. Far from it. I told you, I'm never leaving. I promise. We're telling you something different."

"Oh," he blushed, "Sorry."

"It's okay," he reassured him, stroking his blond hair.

"What we're going to tell you. Is that. You're going to have a little brother or sister."

The two of them beamed at him, waiting for his reaction.

Aiden looked at them, trying to decipher what it meant. When he realised what it could mean, he raced out of the room. Meredith and Derek shared a worried look.

"I'll go," Meredith stood up, leaving Derek on the sofa, wondering what he'd said wrong.

xxxxx

Meredith knocked on the door before poking her head in.

"Go away!" her son yelled from his bed.

"Sweetie. I just want to talk to you," Meredith whispered calmly, sitting on the edge of his bed.

"Why don't you want a little brother or sister?"

"Because, because," he blubbered.

"Oh, baby. Come here."

He crawled sadly into his mother's arms.

"Because Dad will love them more than me. Cuz it'll be his own kid right? I'm not his. He won't love me as much," he sniffled.

"That's why you don't want a sibling?"

He nodded profusely, "He won't love me anymore. And he'll forget about me. You won't. Cuz you're my real mom. He's not my real dad."

"Sweetie, do you really believe that? He loves you like his own. You will be his own. We're signing the papers next week."

"But he'll still forget me. He'll love my little brother or sister more."

"Aiden, look at me." He did, tears streaming down his face. "Your dad loves you. I've never seen someone love their kid as much as he loves you. And he won't forget. He can't, because he loves you. Okay?"

xxxxx

Derek was getting paranoid. He had started pacing a few minutes ago and now he was practically running up the stairs. He couldn't stand the suspense. He walked into the room silently, seeing Meredith rock Aiden gently.

"Bud?" he whispered.

He only burrowed further, looking to Meredith. "He thinks you won't love him anymore."