Chapter 9

By: @sunset543 on Fanfiction.net

Disclaimer: I don't own any of Grey's Anatomy. Not the characters. Not the plot. Not anything. Nor do I own anything to do with the NHL. At all. But it would be pretty cool if I did.

Carolyn Shepherd had been through a lot, she had watched her father die from cancer when she was young, she had suffered so much after her husband was shot in a robbery, even though he did recover. But after all that, she still hated seeing her baby boy get injured. She had watched the game the night before but had held off as long as possible, she had been known to overreact to the mildest of things. The hospital had rung her within a few hours to inform her of his status, in normal situations she would've gone straight there, but she had grandchildren at home to look after and she couldn't very well leave them there by themselves.

But now it was tomorrow, and she hurried towards her son's room, he had been approved to be discharged but he didn't seem to be awake yet, so the nurses wanted him to have his rest. She found the room and walked in to find a beautiful blonde sleeping next to Derek. Her head was on his chest and Derek had both of arms tightly around her small frame. Carolyn assumed that this was Meredith. She was aware that she and Derek were dating now due to several weekly interrogations from his sisters, but she had never met the girl. But right now, it looked like she fit, she fit perfectly in Derek's arms and the contented smile on Derek's face said it all.

She didn't like to disturb them so sat on one of the chairs outside and waited, unworried. A few minutes later, a young brunette came up to the door holding the hand of a little blond-haired boy.

"Is Mom in there?" He asked the woman who was peeking in at the sleeping duo.

"She is, but she's sleeping, so maybe just wait for a bit, they both had a hard day yesterday. And Derek will be okay, he's allowed to go home today."

"I know," the boy sighed, "but I thought he really hurt himself yesterday, and he didn't look good last night," he sat on a chair, a space away from Carolyn.

"I know he didn't," the woman crouched in front of him, "but he was just getting better. You'll see when he wakes up don't worry."

"Okay Aunt Lexie." He swung his legs back and forth as he sat on the chair. The woman, Lexie, took a seat next to him and brought out a brownie.

It was only 9am and Carolyn recognised stress eating when she saw it. They didn't have to wait long when they all saw a dishevelled Meredith walk out of the room.

"Mom," the boy ran towards her, it must be Aiden, she thought.

"Hey sweetie, how are you?"

"I'm fine, what about Derek?"

"He's fine too Aiden, he just woke up."

"Can I see him, please Mom?" He begged.

Meredith smiled, "I'm sure you can as long as you're quiet, he still needs to rest."

"I will," the boy whispered and crept into the room.

Meredith walked to the nurse's station, asking them to check on him, then sat next to Lexie, Carolyn still observing the scene.

"Thank you for taking him home last night," Meredith sighed.

"Of course Mer, I didn't have a shift, it was fine. How is he? Really?"

"He really is okay Lex, he's still tired and he says he has a headache but that's normal. He should be back to his normal self within a couple of days."

"That's good, that's good," Lexie breathed.

"Yeah, but I can't think about what else might happen to him. God Lexie, he just has a concussion and I was scared out of my mind. I thought... I don't know what I thought but it wasn't good. And I love him Lex, I love him so much and I don't know what I'd do if he was..." she trailed off, tears forming in her eyes.