Chapter 3

A/N: story by @sunset543. So, I did actually manage to get this update ready. I'd also like to point out that I am a relatively new ice hockey fan so if any of it is unrealistic or inaccurate, I apologize!

I hope you enjoy! :)

Disclaimer: I don't own any of Grey's Anatomy. Not the characters. Not the plot. Not anything. Nor do I own anything to do with the NHL. At all. But it would be pretty cool if I did.

Derek was nervous, which didn't normally happen, unless it was an important game. But this was just an exhibition before the Stanley Cup Playoffs. He shouldn't be nervous, but a certain blonde-haired, green-eyed woman was going to be watching him, and he was feeling the pressure.

"Relax man," Claude Giroux patted him on the back, "I don't know what you're nervous about but you're going to be fine."

"Thanks Cap," Derek breathed, "I'll be fine, last minute nerves."

"Good. As long as you're ready."

"I am, I'm definitely ready."

The team walked out of the changing room, up the runway and onto the ice. Everyone in the stands cheered and he got the rush he always felt before a game. He smiled quickly to himself and went to tip the pucks off the side so they could start warming up. As he did so, he searched the stands and finally locked out with the woman that had been in his mind for the past week, and she looked as beautiful as ever. His gaze then went to the little boy standing next to her, waving madly. He grinned and gave a slight wave back, the other boys standing next to him looking almost as excited, but he knew Aiden was loving this more than everybody here combined! His eyes drifted to the man next to Meredith, he whispered something to her, and she laughed softly. He couldn't help but feel the tinge of jealousy that coursed through him, despite this guy just being a friend, but his source was an over eager 4, no, 5-year-old now, and he wasn't sure he was to be the most trusted source of information.

He ignored the feeling at the pit of his stomach, hopefully Aiden was right, and he could show off his hockey skills to Meredith and if he was lucky, they'd win the game, then he could try and take them out for a meal or something.

Mark came up to him and told him to stop staring and get a move on, so he took a puck to the blue line and joined Hayes in the warm-up, his presence and joviality calming his nerves further. The loud music from the speakers was almost overpowering and he lined up his first shot and took a wrist shot to the top left corner, Hart hadn't got into the goal yet so he couldn't embarrass himself, unless he missed, but he was better than that!

He made a few stick tricks with Cubes then joined the semi-circle in the middle for the stretches. After a whole team warm up of basically just taking pot shots at Elliott and Hart (!), the horn went for the end of the warm-up.

Not long later, they all headed back out and he lined up for the face-off. The referee gave them all the usual jargon, and dropped the puck, the game had begun. The team played well, 2 goals in the first period, a slap shot from Konecny and then a wrist shot from the skipper himself. They were well into the third period and the Sharks were yet to level up. The last few minutes were counting down on the clock and he had two minutes to show Meredith and Aiden something of more use than good stick skills and a good assist.

He received the puck up from Hayes, and took it round the back, protecting it from the San Jose defenseman, went for the wrap-around and slipped it between Marin Jones' pads, his stick clipping the pipe just as it passed the line.

The horn blared and he skated off, yelling in triumph, his teammates swarming around him, it was the usual reaction, even without it being an important game, it still felt good! The fans were hitting the glass, all of them had erupted from their seats and the whole place was alive. It always felt different when it was you that scored! He skated to the bench and bumped fists with everyone.