Chapter 10

By: sunset543  

Enjoy! :)

Disclaimer: I don't own any of Grey's Anatomy. Not the characters. Not the plot. Not anything. Nor do I own anything to do with the NHL. At all. But it would be pretty cool if I did.

Derek and Meredith were relaxing in the living room, Aiden had disappeared in search of one of his toys and they were just enjoying the comfortable silence.

"Can I ask you something?" Meredith asked.

"Shoot," he replied, intrigued.

"You can say no, I won't hold it against you. But, er, willlyougototheinternmixerwithme?"

"What was that?" He laughed.

"Will you go to the intern mixer with me?"

"Yeah I'd love to," he grinned.

"Seriously?"

He nodded.

"Do you even know what it is?"

"Yeah, my sisters, Kathleen, Nancy, Amy, they go to theirs every year. It's mainly for the interns but they want the residents and attending to go as well," he shrugged.

"Okay you do know what it is. Are you sure you want to go? They're normally really boring."

"Of course, I want to go Mer, I want to go with you."

"Okay, thank you. Oh! And you need a suit, or a tux."

"I can do that," he smiled.

"And it's next week, Thursday. Which I think is a stupid day to do it, I mean, right in the middle of the week." She ranted slightly.

"What was your mixer like?"

"Oh, I didn't actually go, I went to the bar across the street instead."

Derek laughed, "Really couldn't face it huh?"

"No. Plus I knew I'd drink less at a bar than stress drinking at the mixer. And I had Aiden to get home to."

"Well I guess that's fair enough," he kissed her lightly, putting an arm around her shoulder. Aiden came back, holding his possession triumphantly and they turned their focus back to the chatty 5-year-old in front of them.

xxxxx

Derek was ready, he had been off for three days and he loved spending it with Meredith and Aiden, but he was itching to be back on the ice. They had ended up losing after he had been taken off the ice after Braden freaking Point shoved him into the boards. But they were only 1-0 down in the series. It was hardly over. But he had been welcomed back warmly and now he was warming up; they were all in fine form tonight and Derek was sure of their win.

His Meredith was back at home, probably scared out of her mind but he was still glad she was watching. She had held onto him for dear life when he had left earlier, making him promise that he wouldn't get hurt this time. He could only hope that he never got seriously injured because of how hard it would be on her. He had told her he loved her and that he would do his best. But she was watching, and so was Aiden, he just wanted him to win!

They started play and Derek eyed Point carefully and skated his best game trying to outplay the Bolts. They had beaten them in the round robin, why not now?

They were proving to be better than them when Derek skated to the face-off circle for an icing. "Careful Shepherd, don't hurt yourself this time."

It was said in sportsmanship rather than a threat, the player opposite him was an old teammate of his but it still put him on edge. He started playing badly enough that AV took him off. He gave himself a pep talk and his spirits were lifted when he watched Kubes rip one from the blue line. He skated back on, not letting his focus stray from the game. He paid attention, his eyes flicking around, watching the play. He drowned out the fans and focused on the sound of skates on the ice, the satisfying tap of the stick. He played well then, creating leads and opening spaces. It was down to the last few seconds of regulation time, the score tied at 2-2. Hayes took a wrist shot from the top and it came flying between the blue defensemen, though it was heading straight for Korpisalo's glove. He edged out his stick, redirected it into the bottom corner. The goaltender hadn't stood a chance.