Chapter 35

The morning sun was just barely starting to rise from behind the horizon when Angharad made her way down to the mess hall for breakfast

The morning sun was just barely starting to rise from behind the horizon when Angharad made her way down to the mess hall for breakfast. Nobody else was awake just yet, and someone had to make sure the new recruits ate before their first expedition. Ignoring the way her own nervousness about the coming day unsettled her stomach, she got to work.

By the time the first members of her squad came shuffling into the mess hall, she had already finished making a large pot of oatmeal, as well as a batch of her usual morning tea. Levi was the first to arrive, looking fully awake, or maybe he'd never slept. The Captain was dressed in his uniform, cravat in place and harness buckled across his chest as he draped his cloak off the back of the chair. He sniffed the air, noticing the scent of cinnamon and brown sugar coming from the kitchens, and Angharad came pushing through the double doors carrying the tray containing the large pot of tea.

"What are you doing awake already?" The words left his mouth before he even realized he was speaking. Angharad had a way of making him talk without her having to say anything. There was just something about the platinum blonde navigator made Levi want to spill all of his secrets. The thought scared him, and he pushed it down, buried it underneath years of fighting for survival and the reminder that life is never promised.

"I couldn't sleep much. I never do the night before a mission." Angharad set the tray of tea down on their table. She turned back to the cupboards and began to pull out stacks of bowls and silverware. Levi poured himself his first cup of tea and watched as she began to set their table and the one across from it. As he sipped the warm beverage, the door opened again, seeing their squad all walking in at the same time. Petra and Layla were already talking amongst themselves, while Jeremiah was silent. Oluo, Gunther, and Eld were grumbling about having to be up early. When the door opened again, Eren came walking through, rubbing the sleep from his eyes and blinking to adjust his vision. Levi watched his eyes move around the room before stopping to land on his Aunt. Angharad was carrying a large pot to the counter, and she smiled upon turning and seeing her nephew.

"Lieutenant, what's the plan for-" Layla began to ask, when there was a bowl of sweet smelling oatmeal thrust under her nose.

"Eat." Ang interrupted her. "Whatever you need to ask me can wait until after breakfast." Eren made his way to the counter to fill his own bowl, and the squad followed after him to do the same. Levi did not move, allowing his teammates to help themselves first. The door opened again, and the rest of the Scouts all filed in to help themselves to breakfast as well. Pretty soon the hall was filled with idle chatter and somber faces. Ang grabbed two more bowls and made her way to the table where her squad sat. She set one bowl down in front of Levi, before sitting down in her own seat next to him. Levi looked at her in surprise before slowly picking up his spoon to take a few bites.

Angharad did not like expedition days. While she was happy to be able to explore the open fields of the island, she often found herself looking at the other soldiers, wondering who would come back home, and who wouldn't. She gazed around her own table, sipping at her tea. Eld and Gunther were talking back and forth with each other, while Oluo was mostly silent, occasionally chiming into their conversation. Layla and Petra sat across from her, the redheads talking, and occasionally giggling, to themselves. Layla had her bangs pulled away from her face, while the rest of her hair came to rest above her shoulders. Petra looked the same, the young girls bright eyes shining with mirth as she spoke with her best friend.